Home

NHL 2K alive and kicking

This is a discussion on NHL 2K alive and kicking within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: NHL 2K alive and kicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effectively_wild
Just picked up 2K8 to add to the rotation with 2K10. I always thought 2K10 to be unrivalled but I never realised how deep the control scheme and game mechanics ran in 2K8. Wow, just wow. I'll need more time with 2K8 to fully get to grips with it but I'm very impressed. The attention to detail with the mechanics might be the best of the series. The 'enforcer engine' (for want of a better phrase) is the best I've ever seen in any game. I wish 2K10 had that in it.
I far prefer 2K8 graphically, for its exhaustive stat tracking in season mode, for its classic teams, for the commentary and for its controls, the best in any hockey game ever in my opinion. The menus are ugly but I can ignore that. Butone thing that is very very hard to balance is the sliders that become very frustrating pushing you in opposite extremes from either low scoring affairs or unreasonable blowouts for you or the CPU. Once you get it right, it works great. But it can take days to get the sliders right. And starting from another set doesn't help, it just has to be right for you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #42
Rookie

Effectively_wild's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
I far prefer 2K8 graphically, for its exhaustive stat tracking in season mode, for its classic teams, for the commentary and for its controls, the best in any hockey game ever in my opinion. The menus are ugly but I can ignore that. Butone thing that is very very hard to balance is the sliders that become very frustrating pushing you in opposite extremes from either low scoring affairs or unreasonable blowouts for you or the CPU. Once you get it right, it works great. But it can take days to get the sliders right. And starting from another set doesn't help, it just has to be right for you.
100% on the controls. They really are deep. Once you get the hang, quite intuitive. Still trying to get to grips with them as I'm still in 2K10 mode.
I know I've mentioned it already but I love the intense contact and the tangible effect it has on players composure along with big hits. The fighting is good as well. A step up from 2K10.
So glad we get to play these games. I wish I'd known about 2K8 years ago
Old 09-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #43
Rookie

2k8 and 2k10 definitely are two amazing games in their own way. Tough to pick a favourite between the two, they both have great elements the other one does not have and vice versa. In my personal ranking they share the number 2 spot behind NHL 04 Rebuilt as far as best NHL games of all times.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #44
Rookie

VeNOM3099's Arena

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1594970518

I recently started a 2K8 franchise and streamed a few games. I forgot how ridiculously fun this game could be! I enjoy it immensely more than even the NHL 23 Tech Demo.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #45
Rookie

i have ordered NHL 2k10 (and smackdown vs raw 07) for my PS2, and am so happy to see this sort of thing around. i ended up choosing 2k10 because it seems like one of the few non-manager sports games that has a limitless franchise mode. the EA games have pretty short year limits (i've heard '22 can't make it past 2035!) and eastside hockey manager doesn't quite scratch the itch for me, even with the workshop stuff.

anyway, if anyone has any tips for rosters or updates or sliders to use for PS2 (not an emulator) NHL 2K10, i'd love to hit the ground running on a 100-year Blue Jackets odyssey. i've noticed that many of the roster updates are PS3 based, if anyone knows how/if those will work on PS2 feel free to let me know. Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2022, 07:41 PM   #46
Rookie

Effectively_wild's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mori_lucrum_
i have ordered NHL 2k10 (and smackdown vs raw 07) for my PS2, and am so happy to see this sort of thing around. i ended up choosing 2k10 because it seems like one of the few non-manager sports games that has a limitless franchise mode. the EA games have pretty short year limits (i've heard '22 can't make it past 2035!) and eastside hockey manager doesn't quite scratch the itch for me, even with the workshop stuff.

anyway, if anyone has any tips for rosters or updates or sliders to use for PS2 (not an emulator) NHL 2K10, i'd love to hit the ground running on a 100-year Blue Jackets odyssey. i've noticed that many of the roster updates are PS3 based, if anyone knows how/if those will work on PS2 feel free to let me know. Cheers!
Happy to send you my sliders bud...mines for PS3 though, so don't know how it differs.

With regard to the teams, personally part of the reason I love these games is that I get to play with my favourite players. Each to their own of course but on current games I can't light someone up with John Scott. I can't fight with Boogie or take over a game with Big Buff or Bertuzzi. I just love the old rosters man
Old 09-24-2022, 01:19 AM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mori_lucrum_

Good luck running your franchise! On PS2 SVR06 was the better game in my opinion though. You should try that one out as well if you don't have it already.

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html
Old 09-24-2022, 05:24 PM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikethebike
Good luck running your franchise! On PS2 SVR06 was the better game in my opinion though. You should try that one out as well if you don't have it already.
thanks! my mcboot just arrived today, so i am about to download the most recent roster i could find (@wwedx2007) and try this out. i also am reading what the mcboot can do and, well, i guess i need to find some files to put on a hard drive! if anyone has any pointers on where to find things, i would appreciate.

and i ended up with 07 due to what people described as a limitless season mode... tbd on that. it is still very fun and i suspect will age well head to head vs WWE 2k22 (DLC will still cost money even when the game is on sale, and eventually the servers go night-night). i have to say GM mode is a bit over my head, and that here comes the pain has a classic career mode, but its also very expensive!

a few weeks ago i had the realization that nearly all games nowadays are created to have a short shelf life. i have a ps5 but its shocking that even something like PGA 2k21 requires an internet connection to play *offline career*. i will still play GT7 and whatever flavor of the month on PS5 but its clear the new generations of consoles will be basically lease-rental situations.

i also have a ps2, wii, og xbox, and ps4... so i decided to identify whatever games had 'limitless season' franchise modes, and tried to be wary of which games could 'go offline' permanently.

i spent awhile reading various reviews and forums, etc, and tried to come up with some 'consensus'. it appears that there is no infinite NFL game, so far as i can tell, even the 2k5 game has a 30 year cap. ncaa franchise modes go to 60. mvp baseball 2005 goes 120 years - but, after it arrived, i found out the show 21 also has limitless franchise mode and downloaded it to the ps4. as far as i have read, nhl 2k10 is possibly the most recent hockey game with an unlimited amount of season modes. it seems nba 2k21 goes on forever, but i havent researched that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »