Home

The Witcher 3

This is a discussion on The Witcher 3 within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2020, 02:52 AM   #4001
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The Witcher 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
I was gonna say don't loot everything. But if you're new to the game, you have no idea what you need and don't need....... loot everything until you figure out what you don't need.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Flashbacks of
Spoiler

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2020, 04:11 PM   #4002
Pro

OVR: 4

Man I have been working on this for 3 years as well.. pretty close too the end and went and bought the complete edition. Turns out your save doesnt transfer over from base game to complete edition. So I have to start all over again... pretty torn on whether I want to commit again.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #4003
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin
First thing you should do is read the Lore Primer/Guide on Kotaku. It's pretty well done and easy to read, while setting up the game pretty well. There is also a Tips & Tricks article there as well.

I don't shame anyone on difficulty selection so feel free to play on Easy if you want. The game is meant to have low and high level enemies (dictated by the color of their name and health bar), unlike Skyrim which scales, and you will get your teeth kicked in by high level enemies even on Easy. Play what you want so you keep progressing...I personally hate being frustrated on a fight.

Loot everything and buy maps and alchemy recipes from vendors. One of the best things is that you only need some alcohol and meditation to fill all your oils and potions once you brew them so that should be a focus.

Don't worry about buying swords or armor as you'll find plenty in your travels. The main focus should be on finding Witcher gear (each school has specific play style benefits) and crafting those. I kept the default chest armor for the first half of the game before making my Wolf and Ursine gear.

Don't worry about how you build out the skill tree as you can buy a potion and reset it. You may want to go swords and alchemy and later find you love signs. Do increase Axii right away as you can do a little Jedi mind trick thing is some dialogue which expands choice.

Quests all have a level suggestion, so feel free to use that as a guide. You will get less XP in quests you are overleveled for but main story quests will still give you plenty and you never risk being underleveled, unless you skip or fail a lot of quests.

I strongly suggest setting a conservative auto save interval (I use every five mins). You never know when you'll stumble into a cockatrice nest.

Own your decisions and stay away from guides. The Witcher is a very gray, non-binary world, unlike the red and blue Mass Effect series (which I also enjoy).

Lastly (for now at least, hopefully others chime in) don't fast travel. Take the world in. Find monster nests, bandit camps, treasure hoards, etc. I used to fast travel a ton but on playthrough three I'm not...only for quick jumping for Witcher gear hunts.

Enjoy the game! And then you'll want to read the books, play the other games, or frankly start a second run right after the credits roll.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks for this and to everyone elses advice. I will definitely use it. Starting the game up today after getting a new monitor and it's amazing so far. Looking forward to diving in to this game.

Sent from my J8170 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #4004
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

It’s $15 for the complete edition on PSN. Thought about getting it as I just picked up Spider-Man $(20) and God of War and Horizon for $15 each, but it seems to overwhelming. I dunno.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:46 AM   #4005
Rookie

elfdutch's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree with what most guys already said.
I dove into this game 2 years ago. I'm by no means an experienced rpg player, but was hooked from the start. Have always loved fantasy so this one was right up my alley.

I just started to play, basically not know what i was doing. Looted everything, read every book and never skipped any of the dialogue. I was really addicted to this game and put in a lot of hours, my wife wasn't alway happy with me.

That being said i haven't played it in more than a year. Recently watched the series and am ready to continue again.

I know others have said it but i want to repeat this : do not fast travel.
Instead enjoy the beautiful world, stumble on unexpected things and enjoy the sunsets or sunrise.

Skellige is a really gorgeous location, i regularly found myself standing on top of a mountain just to take in the scenery.
I also really like going to all the ? as you never know what you are going to find.
Can't wait to get back into this one, even though i'm 50 with a wife and 2 kids and basically don't have as much gaming time as i used to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2020, 06:49 AM   #4006
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

It’s so weird to me that it’s been difficult for me to really dive into this game since I loved Fable on original XBOX. Feel like this is Fable on steroids and should be an easy decision for me. It’s also been about 10 years since I played Fable and now have a wife and a kid that make it near impossible to game for hours on end lol. Funny how real life gets in the way of our fantasy worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-21-2020, 03:58 AM   #4007
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwin
It’s $15 for the complete edition on PSN. Thought about getting it as I just picked up Spider-Man $(20) and God of War and Horizon for $15 each, but it seems to overwhelming. I dunno.
More then worth the buy at that price. Even if you don't start it now its a great summer game to play with nothing new out at that time.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 02-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #4008
Rookie

OVR: 0

Best game ever, can't stop playing!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »