Home

Wolfenstein - The New Order

This is a discussion on Wolfenstein - The New Order within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Wolfenstein - The New Order

Appears we have a new Wolfenstein (about time!) on the way!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/wolfenstein-...=Topslot;Slot1

Bethesda has put to an end the guessing games: Wolfenstein: The New Order marks the return of the series since its ignominious last outing in 2009. This time Swedish developer MachineGames is at the helm.

The game will come out for the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 – as well as unnamed next-gen systems sometime near the end of this year.

According to details at Gamespot, the game features series' hero B.J. Blazkowicz in a reimagined 1960s where the Nazis have won the war. Exercising their control, the regime has created a robot army and other super weapons in a bid to extend their control across the globe "and beyond." You can head here to check out the trailer.

Gameplay details have not been announced yet, but the initial press release for the title tabs the franchise's first-person shooter heritage while saying that The New Order will be a "reimaging of this franchise."

This is MachineGames' first known game, but the Swedish studio was created in 2009 by some of the founding members of Starbreeze Studios who were the creative team for The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher's Bay.

The developer was acquired by Bethesda parent company ZeniMax in 2010, and appears to have been working on the game since then using id Tech 5.

Last edited by Valdarez; 05-07-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
MVP

KMRblue1027's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Wolfenstein - The New Order

Very very nice
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Pro

JWR3232's Arena

OVR: 5
Omg yes!! Trailer was great loved the Jimi at the end too.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

More info, some concept art, and a few quick shots of gameplay.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Eurogamer Preview

Quote:
It's hard to get too excited about another FPS these days, but it's equally hard not to be won over by the old-school action MachineGames has conjured up.

From a tense opening which finds you stalked through rubble by a giant robot Nazi guard dog, to full-blooded combat encounters inside the building, the game feels meaty and robust. Gunplay is tight and enemy AI strikes a fine balance between smart enough to be a challenge without becoming a tactical shooter, and dumb enough to serve as cathartic cannon fodder.

Most notably, the game is steering well clear of anything resembling realism. In keeping with Wolfenstein's frag-happy origins at the dawn of the FPS genre, this will be a game where dual-wielding two enormous shotguns will not only be possible but preferable, and where you can keep guzzling up health packs to double the base 100 limit.
Quote:
In between firefights there are a few moments of mild environmental puzzling. Most involve your laser cutter, a device that can burn through chain-link fencing at the start of the level and, once replaced with the hulking Laserkraftwerk, through sheet metal. Rather brilliantly, this cutting tool is completely freeform, so if you want to carve a smiley face into a grate, you can.
Quote:
The London Nautica section - at least, the part we're allowed to play - ends with a boss battle against a giant Nazi mech. It's a fierce encounter, probably worthy of the finale for most shooters, but apparently comes only around a third of the way through the game. Does this mean we'll be building up to a climactic end-game fight against RoboHitler? Jens isn't saying, but the twinkle in his eye as he makes his stock denial should be enough to raise the hopes of old-school FPS fans. It's clear he idolises John Carmack, and fans will be pleased to learn that MachineGames sought the approval of Wolfenstein's creators before embarking on their iD Tech 5 powered reinvention of the series.

There's a lot crammed into the demo, from solid stealth to frantic gunfights, and while none of it is especially original, it is all presented with a comic-book flair and old-school energy that is rare in today's shooter marketplace. Running in the opposite direction to the genre big boys by ditching multiplayer completely and focusing on the single-player story, Wolfenstein feels like it takes Valve-style first-person narrative and combines it with the free-wheeling mayhem, environmental detail and tongue-in-cheek excess of classic Duke Nukem. How well that recipe will work when spread over an entire campaign remains to be seen, but so far, Wolfenstein looks like it might be the jaded shooter fans' best alternative to another tour of duty in the expected military fatigues.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

I really like the graphics. And that industrial/metal look the characters have, is just brilliant, in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Looking forward to this, going to stay cautiously optimistic at this point. Looks good but at the same time I know the last Wolfenstein game wasn't all that great.

RTCW on the Xbox might be my favorite FPS of all time though, I played that game a ridiculous amount, wish they could recapture that style of multiplayer with this series somehow.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Pro

JWR3232's Arena

OVR: 5

Video was very nice. I'm glad that the developers are doing a more old school FPS gameplay with health and armor pickups and the corny one-liners. The gun that they used to cut holes in the environment looks awesome hopefully it can be more flushed out that what the two people in the video were talking about. I loved the Riddick games never played the Darkness but i heard they were good so hopefully (shouldn't be to hard) to make a better Wolfenstein than the one a few years ago.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »