Home

Old 03-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #17
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Those who share consoles - beware. You share only one island and resources are shared. Also the first player to login to the game when you first loaded the game gets to make all the decisions.

Awesome game, absolutely insane design decision on saves. Really ruins the game for families. Hope yo goodness they can fix it to allow multiple islands.
So if we are separate users/profiles the game still only has ONE island for the whole system?

Old 03-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
So if we are separate users/profiles the game still only has ONE island for the whole system?
Yes. Every AC game was that way. 1 Island.
So yep.1 Island per console.
The main difference was you could use a seperate memory card on the Gamecube to use different islands.
They should have it tied to profiles in this day and age and hope they change it, as the way it is with current system structure (no memory cards) just doesnt make sense.
Doesnt affect me but should still be changed.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Old 03-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #19

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

Do you guys seeing that being a big enough problem to affect gameplay and enjoyment? I doubt it would be a big difference in the beginning, but as both players progress...

Old 03-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #20
You'll Float Too!!!

PhilliesFan13's Arena

OVR: 27

I was researching this game this weekend and watched the Nintendo Direct presentation on it on YouTube. After reading some comments in the thread, I may be sold on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

PhilliesFan1320 Twitch Channel
Old 03-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #21
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Do you guys seeing that being a big enough problem to affect gameplay and enjoyment? I doubt it would be a big difference in the beginning, but as both players progress...
Personally I dont see it as a huge issue. Theres plenty of area for people. It's not like you' can build a 20 acre castle or something.
Both players would still need to do thier own thing as far as collecting things to sell..
Theres tons to collect etc.. that IMO the more players the better.
With that said I've only ever played with 2 people in 1 island once.
The fun is also getting online and visiting other people's islands. gathering fruit you may not have on your island so you can plant on your Island etc...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #22
Strategy Over Skills

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
So I will explain it from my viewpoint (as this is a problem for me)

It has ruined a lot of enjoyment for me and here is why:

Whoever logs in first is the primary resident or whatever they call you. That is it. Nothing you can do about it.

Now what does that mean? The 2nd player cannot build bridges, buildings, cannot move in new people, cannot do certain tasks (you can do almost any of the big tasks, like helping people, donating to the museum).

The resources are all shared, so if your wife (or whoever) runs around and picks all the peaches, you are just SOL. This goes with fossils, fish, etc. Some resources replenish faster than others so not all resources are an issue.

If your wife is the first player and she gets the museum up and going without you home, when you go to play, you just missed how it got built, why it got built, and you did not get to donate to the first 15 specimen. All of a sudden, your island has grown and added big stuff and you have no clue how/why.

It is still fun and a lot you can do, but yes, yes it is very much an issue and does drain some of the fun out of it. We are still playing, but I have missed out on so much stuff because my wife has played more than I have and everything is advancing and I am truly missing out.

Bummer, Nintendo. Give us our own island.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #23
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
So I will explain it from my viewpoint (as this is a problem for me)

It has ruined a lot of enjoyment for me and here is why:

Whoever logs in first is the primary resident or whatever they call you. That is it. Nothing you can do about it.

Now what does that mean? The 2nd player cannot build bridges, buildings, cannot move in new people, cannot do certain tasks (you can do almost any of the big tasks, like helping people, donating to the museum).

The resources are all shared, so if your wife (or whoever) runs around and picks all the peaches, you are just SOL. This goes with fossils, fish, etc. Some resources replenish faster than others so not all resources are an issue.

If your wife is the first player and she gets the museum up and going without you home, when you go to play, you just missed how it got built, why it got built, and you did not get to donate to the first 15 specimen. All of a sudden, your island has grown and added big stuff and you have no clue how/why.

It is still fun and a lot you can do, but yes, yes it is very much an issue and does drain some of the fun out of it. We are still playing, but I have missed out on so much stuff because my wife has played more than I have and everything is advancing and I am truly missing out.

Bummer, Nintendo. Give us our own island.
Adding on to this from what I've read (I haven't bought the game yet but I've been looking into it):

My understanding is that only the first person can unlock things, so for example, let's say I buy the game and start my game. I play for like 5 hours and unlock (just making these things up here) a shovel and an axe to work with. My girlfriend hops on her profile and gets really addicted. However, since the progression is all tied to my profile, she can't unlock anything so she's basically stuck waiting for me to return to the game and waiting on me to progress. But what if the game gets old for me but she really likes it? Now she's basically stuck unless she just wants to play on my profile moving forwards.

The one shared island thing sounds fine to me. The progression/customization issues are the real problem IMO (if I'm understanding it correctly). I actually think it would be pretty cool to have one island that my girlfriend and I both share, but I am a little worried about the progression/customization limitations that are placed on anyone that plays after me.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 03-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #24

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

Yeah, the resource sharing aspect of sharing an island isn't a problem to me. Heck, even building a community together with my wife would be a lot of fun. Like you guys have said, though, limiting what the second player can do just kind of kills the co-op fun.

I don't really want to buy two copies of the game so both of us can get the full enjoyment out of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »