Home

Sliders: I Don't Get It

This is a discussion on Sliders: I Don't Get It within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #41
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Sliders: I Don't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot

NHL 2K5 (or maybe 2K6) had a pretty good idea...how well it was implemented is debatable, but the idea was good. But they had some preset settings for Sim Game, Arcade game and I think there were a few others too. Beyond these presets, sliders were available for further customization.
That is probably the best way to go about it. I was just thinking about this the other day when I was playing NHL 2k9 for the PS2. I noticed it had pre-settings for Sim and Arcade. I was wondering way every sports game doesnt do that. That doesnt mean that the Sim setting was perfect, but I bet you will probably have to do less tweaking from that default setting than you would from the Arcade default setting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #42
Banned

bsb13's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2

As far as I'm concerned, you are telling everyone to eat a pizza with no toppings. Sliders are the great ingredients like pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms, peppers, etc. Why would I be satisfied eating a cheese pizza when I could be adding meat to it? Or why would I eat a pineapple and ham pizza when I don't want pineapple on my pizza? Quite frankly, I think anyone who doesn't use sliders is nuts. I'd much rather eat my pepperoni, bacon, ham and mushroom pizza than just simply accept whatever slice someone throws on my plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ

I don't want cheese pizza either. I want the meat lovers deluxe with everything on it, well not in real life , irl I actually like cheese pizza, but for my sports games I do want the deluxe.

I just don't want to bring home the cheese pizza that the developer's sell me and then have to slice my own pepperoni, cook and crumble my own sausage, slice all the veggies, and so forth and so on and add them to my pizza on my own! I mean what if I put Anchovies on it and then my pizza sucks but I don't know it's the anchovies making my pie suck, so first I take off the sliced tomatoes, which makes the pineapple slices stronger but my pizza still sucks, so I take off the pineapple and yech, it still sucks. AND I paid $65 + for this pizza

These are the two of the most delicious post I have ever read.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 31
You don't have to adjust sliders. Developers still need to work on the default settings for online play (lackadaisical effort?).

Your argument that sliders are crutches for developers is just inane. The reason sliders were introduced were for people who wanted more realism. Developers often need to make a game for the average consumer who will not play a full 12 minute quarter NBA game, instead will play 5 minute quarters. If there were no sliders to adjust FG% do you realize how horrible 2k would be?

"This is the dumbest article I have ever read on OS"

I concur!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 3
Well you're not getting it, because you're a moron. How often do you see what damage does a monster with an axe, or how fast a monster is?
Sports games are about realism and perception. Simulating the real leagues, players. How many real monsters did you saw? You're still not getting it right?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #45
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

for me, I rarely, rarely, and I mean rarely use sliders. To me, adjusting sliders means that you are trying to get a "predetermined" outcome thus eliminating the unpredictability of the game. Also, in my opinion, slider adjustments become a never ending, vicious cycle. You are playing the game to see if it "plays correctly" instead of playing the game to, well, play the game.

Now having said that, do I think that sliders should be removed? Absolutely not. They have become a mainstream in sports games and in all honesty, the more options given to the user, the better. We all have different opinions of what a "sim" game is and sliders gives the users the ability to adjust the game to their "sim level".

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #46
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobday
Well you're not getting it, because you're a moron.

How often do you see what damage does a monster with an axe, or how fast a monster is?

Oh, how I love irony.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #47
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Take it from me. Sliders matter or they wouldn't BE there...
Old 10-19-2008, 02:25 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67
Other than the reason us 'Sim' players like sliders, they also have another role.

Take Madden player 'A', he is just a dude who isn't very good at the game but likes football.

Take Madden player 'B', he is the guy that lives Madden , goes to all of the tourneys and has sick stick skills.

Sliders allow for player 'A' to get similar results and stats as player 'B' without being as good.
Garrett nailed it.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »