Home

OS Debate: Real Time Physics or Authentic True to Life Presentation?

This is a discussion on OS Debate: Real Time Physics or Authentic True to Life Presentation? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 7
GAMEPLAY is ALWAYS more important than how a game looks. Speaking from experience, after a few games, most people tend to just repeatedly press A (On Xbox) or X (PS3) to bypass most of the replays, halftime reports and other presentation aspects just to get back to the action.. For that Reason I would have to say REAL TIME PHYSICs > Presentation
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: OS Debate: Real Time Physics or Authentic True to Life Presentation?

Physics. Even if its not done 100% perfect, we get hilarious animations (see FIFA 12). Crappy presentations mean I have to turn on music or upload tunes, which requires effort.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 8
real time physics hand down. This shouldn't even be a debate. If 2 editions of madden 13 came out which one would you buy, the one with RTP or the one with authentic presentation? Yup RTP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 0
Hard choice... And it depends to what extreme ends of the spectrum we're talking about.
For instance if by Physics, we're talking about a basketball player being able to leap 100 feet into the air... Or by Presentation, are we talking about going back to NES?
I guess I'd have to say that the Physics would have to be right first. You can't have a game looking like it's being played on the Moon.
But being a CPU vs CPU guy, Presentation is everything to me. I watch the games like I'm watching a live game on TV.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #37
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Most gamers won't admit it. But the reason NFL 2K5 is so legendary is because the presentation was the best of any football game to date.

NFL 2K5's gameplay was pretty good. But not awesome.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #38
Rookie

mikemck09's Arena

OVR: 1
Real Time Physics... That is the solid base to any successful game... You could have True to life Presentation on a Lego Game, would all of the TLP fans go and buy that game? I think not, having physics implemented in a full contact sport is amazing. If you want Presentation go play golf or some sport where human on human physics arent really important...
Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 12
Without a doubt, it has to be real-time physics for authenticity. Think about it, you can have all the ESPN overlays on earth, but when you get into the game, and real football plays do not happen because of a lack of physics, it largely ruins the game. When superhuman LBs emerge out of nowhere costing your team a 3rd and long to a wide-open receiver, or when the same five tackle animations are repeated over and over again and the juke moves are unstoppable, it takes away from the authenticity.

IMO, true authenticity is to have all of the gameplay working. For example... what is more authentic, Rece Davis doing studio updates, which will be recycled over and over again? Or... running Oregon or Wisconsin's offenses the way Oregon and Wisconsin run it with dynamic physics so no two plays or tackles are the same? I think most would admit it would be the latter for authenticity.

What is interesting is how RTP has so far trumped presentation almost 3 to 1 on here for what we would prefer, yet EA refuses to implement it, and continues to just work on presentation for their football games. Look at what rave reviews FIFA 12 got and the hype surrounding FIFA 13 and FIFA 12 was not much like a TV broadcast, but it had great gameplay, and so therefore most people loved it. Why don't they to within their own company for what authenticity means?

And like many of you said, NBA 2K can have great presentation, but year after year, the gameplay is recycled, and it gets old. Look at MLB: The Show... the presentation is largely recycled and the commentary is rarely new from year to year, but it is so great because the gameplay is awesome and Sony continues to try and make the game resemble real-life baseball with different ball physics and hit variety, and the game continues to sell like crazy, and people can handle the lack of presentation because they can turn the volume off.

You cannot turn off the lack of physics, or crappy gameplay.

Just my .02, but I think EA should look at the other games in sports, and the ones that are excellent, and even to other games within their company like FIFA and NHL to see how gamers flock to GAMEPLAY over presentation.

RTP FTW! It's about damn time.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 12
***Why don't they LOOK to within**** (sorry)

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »