Home

Sports-Game-of-the-Year: Current-Gen SGOTY

This is a discussion on Sports-Game-of-the-Year: Current-Gen SGOTY within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What is your current-gen Sports Game of the Year?
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 The results are hidden 0%
NCAA Football 14 The results are hidden 0%
Madden NFL 25 The results are hidden 0%
NHL 14 The results are hidden 0%
NBA 2K14 The results are hidden 0%
MLB 13: The Show The results are hidden 0%
WWE 2K14 The results are hidden 0%
FIFA Soccer 14 The results are hidden 0%
PES 2014 The results are hidden 0%
Other The results are hidden 0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Sports-Game-of-the-Year: Current-Gen SGOTY

It's time for the annual Stevies!

Please vote in the poll above and let us know who you voted for if you voted for 'other'!!
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Sports-Game-of-the-Year: Current-Gen SGOTY

MLB 13: The Show is the best game, but I voted for NCAA 14 because it was more fun than Madden and it's the last entry in the series, so the impact is bigger.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

This was the last year I would purchase sports games for this gen of consoles (PS3). I picked up M25, NCAA 14, and MLB The Show 13.

1. MLB The Show 13 - Just when I thought it could not be any better I went ahead and purchased 13 for one particular reason. True Ball Physics 2.0. The Show 12 broke new ground on True Ball Physics 1.0 and while it was a a wow for me, some warts were there (way too many Ground Rule Doubles, foul balls bouncing 15 feet in the air) and I felt the balls traveled far too fast at times taking away gap doubles and turning those as well as balls hit to the corner walls into long singles. No slider could fix that. So with the 2.0 version of True Ball Physics I was excited. Well it was a major breakthrough in my opnion. Gap doubles returned, doubles and triples to the corners returned, also the ball's flight felt more organic. Bloop singles, sinking liners....so many hit variations indeed! Also the hitting window was opened up a little and while it was an adjustment for me intially, I was able to adapt and with some slider tweaks...hitting can still be a challenge for us who are veterans of the series. Other tweaks were made. A new score bug which looked far better than the previous 2 iterations, a much better scouting and training system. Also the AI in franchise mode has improved. I still employ 32 team control to make sure wonky trades do not happen.....but that is the only reason I do the full league control...to play as the commish of the league for trades. While player progression is flawed, it has not affected my enjoyment as I typically only go 3-5 seasons deep in any franchise mode I ever play for baseball games as I play at least 100-120 games of every season vs simming a majority. Overall The Show 13 really knocked it out of the park and is my best sports game of the year.

2) Madden 25 - This is the best madden to date. I have stated my reasons plenty on various threads in the Madden forums. I am still playing my Madden CFM as well as my classic season replays....the game is a joy for me. I have not had this much fun in over 7 years with Madden. It's not for everyone. But if your a long time Madden junkie (like me) it is the best yet. The deepest franchise mode to date, the very best player animations, running game and passing yet. Even defense has been a lot of fun to play this year.

3) NBA 2K14 - I have been playing NBA 2K11 since release. I never purchased 2K12, nor 2K13. I felt it was time. Time to upgrade. And boy am I glad I made the leap this year from 11 to 14. While 11 is a fantastic game and gave me 4 seasons in my Heat Association that I will never forget (nor stop as I will go back to that one in the future) and gave me oodles of amazing classic rosters, 14 is a totally refined experience. The best basketball game I have ever played no question NBA 2K14 gives you everything in terms of playcalling options, player animations, crazy good defense, AI teammates switiching, cutting and being aware of where you are and what your trying to do. A superb game in every way, 2K14 will be my NBA game for a long time.

4) NCAA 14 - The game is fantastic. Madden has taken up 90% of my football gaming this year.....but I am about to embark on a new Dynasty with Bowling Green University and trying to take a smaller lesser known mid-west team to bowl prominence. The game plays great, has the best feel I have ever felt for the series and the best overall dynasty, presentation, colors, running game, passing game, and recruting system ever. This is the best of the series. EA IMO get's ton's of hate (some of it justified) on the forums, but this year IMO gave us two football games that for my taste are clearly the best they have ever put out top to bottom.

So a really great year ending this consoles run of sports games. I decided to pass on NHL 14 as I just got into NHL 13 and love it. I have heard 14 is not much of an upgrade (very marginal) to 13. But I am sure it's as solid as 13 as that series to me has been great since NHL 2009.

Next gen will not happen for me till at least December of 2014 but probably longer (waiting on The Show 15 to probably make the leap and for the system to get it's proverbial feet under itself in terms of games, development cycles etc).
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 12-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

I only got The Show 13, Moto GP 13 and OOTP 14 this year and the Winner of those 3 has to be my most recent purchase OOTP 14, too bad it's not an option to vote for.
While I had a lot of fun and spend most of my gaming time with The Show I cant completely overlook it's flaws, namely the flawed player progression/regression and the sometimes odd defensive plays and animations as well as some minor issues like the frequency pitches are bouncing off pitchers or the subpar trade logic.
MotoGP is a decent racing game nothing more or less.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-

Last edited by geisterhome; 12-25-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11

NBA2K14!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
I only got The Show 13, Moto GP 13 and OOTP 14 this year and the Winner of those 3 has to be my most recent purchase OOTP, too bad it's not an option to vote for.
While I had a lot of fun and spend most of my gaming time with The Show I cant completely overlook it's flaws, namely the flawed player progression/regression and the sometimes odd defensive plays and animations as well as some minor issues like the frequency pitches are bouncing off pitchers or the subpar trade logic.
MotoGP is a decent racing game nothing more or less.

You can vote "Other" and nominate OOTP
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 12-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
let us know who you voted for if you voted for 'other'!!
Poll needs an option for Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Banned

The truth on 6 Widespread Food items Particles

Not surprisingly, is most accessible assessment tool we've got maybe at the side of how our pants fit to find out just where we stand weight wise, whether for appearance's sake, as well as our well being.Exclusively those but not on our prime end associated with the scale, the studies also found out that, even among normal weight many people, a four inch (10 cm) waist circumference increased possible risk of death by 16% in guys, as well as an eye opening 25% in girls. Put another way, utilizing a larger waist put these people in danger of disease, even tough their body weight was at the what are named as "normal" range. Similar patterns also held true individuals with thicker waistlines while in the overweight and obese categories.While we've had standard measures for waist circumference as news got around anything over 88 centimetres (34.5 inches) ladies and 102 cm (40 inches) in males is believed abdominally obese new research has recently provided us with a more rewarding understanding of how much cash our waist affects http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Rig...=operasport-20 our disease risk, could we become overweight (BMI between 25 and 29.9), or obese (BMI above 30).Right after the researchers started digging from the data, they found some interesting relationships. Specially, they discovered that obtaining a big waist (searched as greater than 120 cm, or 47 inches of males, or than 110 cm, or 43 inches girls) greater than doubled the potential risk of death unlike many people with http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Wal...=operasport-20 optimal waist sizes (not as much as 36 inches in males and 30 inches girls).When contemplating assessing disease http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=JET...=operasport-20 risk, waist circumference appears to be particularly effective currently highly to do with just how much visceral fat we possess. Visceral fat, which in turn can roughly imagined as the deeper fat that's of our own body and around our organs, is different from the fat which i usually concern ourselves with, also known as fat under the skin.Visceral fat again, the body fat that we're indirectly measuring if we measure waist circumference is metabolically active and behaves incredibly like an organ. Excess visceral fat builds up to the secretion of mini hormones, commonly called cytokines, that might increase harmful inflammation, pushing up insulin resistance (the step before diabetes) and plaque formation (the precursor of your stroke or heart attack) http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Cow...=operasport-20 in the future.While a small number of kilos of fat under the skin might keep our dream abs from popping, or our pipes from being shredded, this isn't a terribly effective indicator of disease risk. Yes, you heard it right: Whether your whole body fat percentage is 16% or 25% doesn't tell you much of your probability keeling over due to a stroke, despite whatever the magazines and gym membership pushers might http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Cui...=operasport-20 reveal to you. On other hand, a muffin top hanging over your previously oh so perfectly fitting jeans is truly a more severe wake-up call and stating that just referring to style points.Waist and riskWhy it's worth getting a waistWhile BMI remains to be fairly common tool for routine assessment of weight related disease risk, waist circumference was at least as, or, considering that the research this along with other studies would suggest, more critical. So the very next time you're delivering your annual physical, breathe deeply and get your physician to measure your waistline. Excellent isn't great, nevertheless it really could save your valuable life.While weight might http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Boo...=operasport-20 be simple to be familiar with terminology, however, it's got its shortcomings, especially just as one assessment tool. (Yes, gentlemen, I'm in conversation with you: Having your belly spend time in the two 36 inch pants does not imply that you have a 36 inch waist. Sorry.) Conversely, BMI, calculated because your weight in kilos, divided from the square of an height in http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Kee...=operasport-20 metres (many sites will calculate it for you), is unable to take waist measurements or body shape note. Because of this highly musculed individuals think hockey players, boxers or MMA prize fighters can have a BMI that are considered overweight, despite being at low risk for disease.The study, created by researchers from your American Cancer Society within journal Archives of Internal Medicine, examined the bond between waist circumference and mortality among through 100,000 adults signed up for the Cancer Prevention Study II (CPS II) between 1997 and 2006. Throughout the 10 year amount the published research, 9,315 men and 5,332 women died in consideration of causes.When it comes to interpreting this study, it is crucial to don't forget that the http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Cit...=operasport-20 population was generally older http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Baj...=operasport-20 (at baseline, the median, http://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=Nik...=operasport-20 or mid point, age was 69 years to make the men, and 67 years to the women), and mostly white. Previous research has indicated that many non white populations, including your South and East Asian descent, are at a heightened risk for disease with only a relatively lower waist circumference.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »