Home

Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread

This is a discussion on Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread

Do you collect anything in particular? Or just cards you like? The last time I got back into cards I started collecting Lou Brock. I still have like 10-15 different autograph cards, a ton of game used, and a rookie card of his graded PSA 6 sitting around somewhere.

That's the main reason I stopped though. It was hard to focus on one thing, there were just so many different things I wanted to do that it became too much. Now I look at cards as an investment, and the only ones that I see as worth it are vintage cards and Hall of Fame rookie cards.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #10

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan203
Do you collect anything in particular? Or just cards you like? The last time I got back into cards I started collecting Lou Brock. I still have like 10-15 different autograph cards, a ton of game used, and a rookie card of his graded PSA 6 sitting around somewhere.

That's the main reason I stopped though. It was hard to focus on one thing, there were just so many different things I wanted to do that it became too much. Now I look at cards as an investment, and the only ones that I see as worth it are vintage cards and Hall of Fame rookie cards.
I'm diversifying a bit. Part of me is looking at cards as an investment and part of me is looking for enjoyment, so I will be doing a bit of both.

For instance, Aoki is one of my favorite players in the majors and I've made it a goal of mine to have a nice collection of his by years end. I also really liked the 2011 Topps Lineage set, so I bought 3 boxes of it. They're all (at least semi) sorted and I have a complete base set boxed up. They have 2 different unnumbered parallels for all 200 cards in the base set so I'd like to get those in good shape as well, for fun. Not sure you'll find too many people investing in Aoki stuff unless its for some weird set they're making.

As for the investment side, that's more about my love of baseball. Jumping in now with nothing to fall back on, its basically a little scouting exercise about picking who you think will have good long careers and building up a collection of them from there. There's always the old vintage card route there as well but those are much more stable, price wise so what you pay for them is most likely what you'd make by selling them.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

I have been collecting for close to 12 years now. While I no longer buy as much as I used to I still make the occasional purchase. Here is the pride and joy of my collection. My ultimate Goal is to get one card from every season he played.
Spoiler

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20,000 cards... problem is, most are from the dark ages of the late 80's/early 90's. I'd be content if I could just get back what I invested in them. For now, they sit packed up in the closet. I do have some good ones in there, though, like rookie cards for Brett Favre, Ken Griffey, Jr., Randy Johnson, Jaomir Jagr, and who knows what else.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Ah, the ol' sports cards. I'm a little sore to this topic as I spent most of my childhood collecting them, only to see my collection value disappear thanks to the wave of autographed and memorabilia cards.

I still look up some prospects from time to time and grab a few, but I don't as much anymore.

I think the best one I ever grabbed was a Felix Hernandez auto rookie card with a jersey patch or something like that. It's been that long since I've looked
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #14

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
I have been collecting for close to 12 years now. While I no longer buy as much as I used to I still make the occasional purchase. Here is the pride and joy of my collection. My ultimate Goal is to get one card from every season he played.
Spoiler
Nice Mantles.

By the way, after doing a bit of poking around... If you do happen to pick up the new Topps Heritage and get some cards with a black back... Keep them. They aren't #d, but they are a parallel to the set. They will only go up in value as people try to complete it, and early estimates put it as somewhere between 64-75 cards have the black backs for each card in the base set. I have 2 so far, so I'm trying to figure out more on these Venezuelans,
Old 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 27

I only collect the basic Topps sets. No Heritage or Chrome. I started watching baseball again back in late 2006, so over the past year I have bought the 2007-2011 Topps factory sets, and starting with 2012 I have been buying jumbo boxes for each series. I do an album for each year and for the update series I put two years together in an album since each set of those is only 330 cards. For example. 2007-2008 update series in one album, 2009-2010 in one album, and 2011-2012 in one album. I have a nice little system going and I enjoy it.

I've been on ebay for the past month buying all the short print variations that I didn't pull from the jumbo boxes myself. I am almost close to done the short prints for 2012 and the first series of 2013. I also like to collect certain insert cards that are part of Topps in the jumbo boxes.

I never used to collect like this when I was a kid. ubernoob, that Harper short print card you bought for $50 is one that I need. Haha. Couldn't bring myself to pay $50 for it though. The only card I have been considering paying a good amount of money for lately is the Skip Schumaker short print of the rally squirrel crossing home plate. That card has been making some people on ebay some nice cash.

This is going to be a great thread!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #16

ubernoob's Arena

I didn't buy it, I pulled it

I'm not brave enough to buy cards online yet, I don't know enough about them. I love the new heritage set, and am adding that to the base sets I want to have done by the end of the year.

Last edited by ubernoob; 03-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »