Home

LinkedIn - How Does It Work?

This is a discussion on LinkedIn - How Does It Work? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
LinkedIn - How Does It Work?

I've had my LinkedIn account for a bit, but never actually used it to find a job. But these days, it's getting harder and harder to find a job here, so I need every little help I can get.

How does LinkedIn actually work? So, I managed to connect with some people I know and added them to my connections. They know (well...don't actually know, but connected to) some more people...and so on and on. How does it benefit me?

Also, I have applied for a position at a company I would love to work for. Then I found their HR Manager on LinkedIn (and I share a connection with her), wrote her a message (about how impressed I was with this company and that I have applied for that position). So she added me to her connections (no message, though)...now what?

In other words...how do I go from the virtual world of LinkedIn - to the real world of a job interview? Any tips are welcome!

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: LinkedIn - How Does It Work?

I wish I knew. My experience of LinkedIn is that it's becoming more like Facebook. I get completely random connection requests every week. I'm sure there is a way to use it to benefit you professionally, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Watch me play video games
Old 02-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #3

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I don't care for it much either, but unfortunately seems like it is something which is needed nowadays. You need connections/networking to get jobs, and a profile on Linkedin helps that, as well as makes you stand out since it's basically an online resume.

I barely got connections on my own personal account, I really don't care about using Linkedin at all. If you don't have one, then it makes companies wonder why you don't have a bigger digital footprint, and if you have one but aren't active(or just don't have many connections), it also seems to hurt too.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

The key is to have a strong profile and make sure you put a picture in of yourself, not some random stupid thing or left blank. The stronger your profile the more it will come up in searches. Recruiters use it a lot, I get direct messages quite often from recruiters. If you use it as a professional tool and not a Facebook extension it can be quite useful.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 AM   #5
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

I don't have Facebook or Twitter or any of those...as I am not part of this world (by choice). LinkedIn is completely for professional reasons, otherwise I have no desire to connect with strangers.

I'm just trying to use anything I can in order to find a job. It looks like the days of seeing an online ad for a job, applying and being hired - are over, unfortunately. 5-7 years ago I didn't have a problem finding a job, but now it seems much harder.

ZX Spectrum
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
I don't have Facebook or Twitter or any of those...as I am not part of this world (by choice). LinkedIn is completely for professional reasons, otherwise I have no desire to connect with strangers.

I'm just trying to use anything I can in order to find a job. It looks like the days of seeing an online ad for a job, applying and being hired - are over, unfortunately. 5-7 years ago I didn't have a problem finding a job, but now it seems much harder.
Start working the system, use the search and start looking for recruiters to connect with. Send them a direct message and introduce yourself.

Last edited by nemesis04; 02-12-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

I just realized you can see when your connections are online, and message them when they're on. Hopefully it doesn't seem like I'm trying too hard.

ZX Spectrum
Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

I don't see any reason to use it unless you are actively job searching, or if you are fine with recruiters contacting you. If you are job searching there is no reason not to go ahead and update it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »