Home

Work From Home (WFH) Thread

This is a discussion on Work From Home (WFH) Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: Work From Home (WFH) Thread

I'm curious where others are at with this now a year and a half after the start of the pandemic because a few things don't make sense to me.

I have been fully remote since March of last year, and my company's official communication has been that whenever things go back to normal it won't be "normal". We are looking at basically 1 day a week (if needed) in the office with a shared type work space. Because our fortune 500 company hasn't seen any productivity loss and surprisingly (/s) employee feedback has been that they really like working from home.

My wife has been mostly remote but has to go in a few times a month whenever certain things are happening at the lab.

All but one of my friends are still at least 90% remote.

Despite this, traffic here in Atlanta has returned to pre-covid levels. Also, I've been keeping my eyes open for new job opportunities for the last 9 months or so, with a few interviews and speaking with quite a few different recruiters. The near universal feedback has been that there is no current commitment to a remote work environment going forward. I actually turned down a job offer in January that was very intriguing to me otherwise, because even as of January 2021 they still don't know if they were committed to remote work in a post covid life.

I spoke with a recruiter a couple of hours ago, and even now 15 months after the initial shutdowns...He had what sounded like an exciting opportunity. The office is currently remote, but the plan is to return to the office once things normalize.

So, while my own network is mostly remote, and scrolling through thoughts in this thread from a year ago the thinking was that WFH was the future, I'm just not seeing it in many places that I thought I would. Is that the case with others too?
Old 08-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #18

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I'm curious where others are at with this now a year and a half after the start of the pandemic because a few things don't make sense to me.

So, while my own network is mostly remote, and scrolling through thoughts in this thread from a year ago the thinking was that WFH was the future, I'm just not seeing it in many places that I thought I would. Is that the case with others too?
Sadly this has been my fear/prediction not just about WFH, but just society in general post pandemic.

Despite everything, once things return to normal, they basically will be normal, as if nothing happened, and people/businesses don't learn or grow from that.

To me, WFH options tells a lot about the business. If you're for sure wanting every last person to come back like normal and don't see any value in WFH in jobs where that can actually be an option, that says a lot about the people in charge/culture of the company.

Feels like the companies which are allowing for more flexibility seem to be the ones with a better overall culture.

Like I said in another thread here, I don't have a WFH type of job, but if I did, I'd absolutely love at least having the option. Not exclusively WFH (unless it ends up being some job real far away), but let's say you have 1 or 2 mandatory work in the office days and the rest are optional. That gives people a good mix. If you want to go in person for 5 days, go ahead. If you want to go every other day, that's fine too. If you want to have a day where the morning is in person, then the afternoon is at home (accepting the longer workday to accommodate for the X amount of unpaid minutes it would take to go from work to home), that's fine as well.

At least that's how I would run things.

Last edited by Majingir; 08-09-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

We've been told by corporate to plan to go back into the office after Labor Day. We've been remote since mid-March of last year.

My manager decided that it's up to us whether we go into the office or not. But once a week, he wants us in for half a day so our team can meet in person. So that's what we're going to do. I'm cool with that.

I don't have a problem going in if there's a need for me to be there. However, if I'm just going to be sitting at a desk all day, I can be more productive doing that at home.

I've spoken with some recruiters as well. And it varies. Once place had been fully remote since well before the pandemic. I was excited about that opportunity, but the pay wasn't there. Other places are either planning to go back full time or are already back full time.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

My company is a large one and spreads throughout much of the country.

My specific division was made permanent work from home shortly after the pandemic started but I have friends throughout the company and that isn't the case across the board (couldn't possibly be and for some, never were work from home at all).

Earlier this year there was a directive sent out that we are a work in the office company and everyone needed to prepare to come back when it was safely deemed to do so. That timeline has changed much over the last year but it was still there as a hard line at some point. (This wouldn't apply to all lines of business like mine which was made permanently virtual).

But after that from what I heard from my other friends in other parts of the business is that that specific message didn't go over well. We had people quitting and leaving for permanent work from home jobs and eventually the message was walked back a bit that we would find a way to be flexible while never forgetting our primary duty to our customers, our stakeholders, and employees (makes 100% sense).

Me personally - I'm not wild about permanently being home, it certainly has it's advantages but it's really hard to manage a team virtually. I would love to still have a space to have everyone come in for a team meeting or for my individual meetings with my team.

However, since this started, my team which was once 100% Pittsburgh residents now has folks from other area's (not many, but enough to make it not the same).

Even when we get back to normal, this will have a major change on jobs in the future.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #21
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
To me, WFH options tells a lot about the business. If you're for sure wanting every last person to come back like normal and don't see any value in WFH in jobs where that can actually be an option, that says a lot about the people in charge/culture of the company.
I"ve made this exact point to some people a few times over the last few months as well as when I turned down the job offer in January. If at this point in the process a company still doesn't know or has decided against some form of WFH environment post Covid, then it speaks to a culture that isn't something that I would want to be a part of anyway.

While the pandemic has obviously been bad. I was hoping that it would at least be the catalyst to move companies in a direction that embraces the opportunities afforded by 21st century technologies. I understand the value in office interactions and even why some people may look forward to it, but it just seems odd that there hasn't been more flexibility shown with it to this point.

Which is particularly unfortunate for me because I really want to leave my company, but my company has actually made a commitment to embracing WFH as the future after seeing the benefits & employee feedback over the last year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #22

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf

My manager decided that it's up to us whether we go into the office or not. But once a week, he wants us in for half a day so our team can meet in person. So that's what we're going to do. I'm cool with that.

I don't have a problem going in if there's a need for me to be there. However, if I'm just going to be sitting at a desk all day, I can be more productive doing that at home.
That's exactly what I mentioned. Nothing wrong having a mix. There's definitely things worth being there in person for. But if people can work from home while also only going in if they want or need to, that's fine. I'm willing to bet people who might live further away wouldn't mind that too.

Do you want a 1-2 hour commute (each way) to work every day? Probably not. But if you're doing that once or twice a week, it's way more tolerable and as an employer, you'll probably have a wider field of people applying to a company like that too.

And some people definitely are more productive when relaxed/alone. I know I'd be distracted at home, but at the same time probably more productive since I'm fully relaxed, can eat while working, and even sitting on my couch when doing work. Even in school, I always found I did my homework or studying best when laying in bed or sitting on a couch at home vs in a computer lab or library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

But after that from what I heard from my other friends in other parts of the business is that that specific message didn't go over well. We had people quitting and leaving for permanent work from home jobs and eventually the message was walked back a bit that we would find a way to be flexible while never forgetting our primary duty to our customers, our stakeholders, and employees (makes 100% sense).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I"ve made this exact point to some people a few times over the last few months as well as when I turned down the job offer in January. If at this point in the process a company still doesn't know or has decided against some form of WFH environment post Covid, then it speaks to a culture that isn't something that I would want to be a part of anyway.
We're seeing this not just in office jobs, but other jobs in general.

So many companies are complaining about needing workers, and how people quit and "people would rather be collecting unemployment than working". The general consensus among the public though is simply "You offer low wages, poor hours, no benefits and poor work conditions, but get mad when people don't want to work for your company"?

I've left my LinkedIn open to recruiters, and only offers I've even gotten are jobs that are basically what I have now, for basically the same pay, and likely worse hours, while they're probably understaffed. I don't even bother responding to them.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #23

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
That's exactly what I mentioned. Nothing wrong having a mix. There's definitely things worth being there in person for. But if people can work from home while also only going in if they want or need to, that's fine. I'm willing to bet people who might live further away wouldn't mind that too.

Do you want a 1-2 hour commute (each way) to work every day? Probably not. But if you're doing that once or twice a week, it's way more tolerable and as an employer, you'll probably have a wider field of people applying to a company like that too.

And some people definitely are more productive when relaxed/alone. I know I'd be distracted at home, but at the same time probably more productive since I'm fully relaxed, can eat while working, and even sitting on my couch when doing work. Even in school, I always found I did my homework or studying best when laying in bed or sitting on a couch at home vs in a computer lab or library.

We're seeing this not just in office jobs, but other jobs in general.

So many companies are complaining about needing workers, and how people quit and "people would rather be collecting unemployment than working". The general consensus among the public though is simply "You offer low wages, poor hours, no benefits and poor work conditions, but get mad when people don't want to work for your company"?

I've left my LinkedIn open to recruiters, and only offers I've even gotten are jobs that are basically what I have now, for basically the same pay, and likely worse hours, while they're probably understaffed. I don't even bother responding to them.

None of what you said has anything to do with the post of mine you quoted.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #24

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
None of what you said has anything to do with the post of mine you quoted.
It goes in hand with other industries too as they move away from the pandemic.

Some companies are trying to do things the way they did before, but employees don't want things to stay the way they were before.

They've gotten to see a different side of life or work and enjoy it better, so now it's on the company to try and change the way they do things or else employees will look elsewhere.

Having to basically go back on what the company has said is basically admitting that the changing demands of employees is justified and change is needed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »