Home

2K Making a Return?

This is a discussion on 2K Making a Return? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: 2K Making a Return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
Just out of curiosity because I have zero idea what the answer to this is as I do not know enough about the topic, but how does having exclusivity for only EA help the NFL? Why wouldn't two video games be equally as beneficial to them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVKD
The main reason, aside from the money, is control over their image. The NFL decides what can or cannot go into Madden, and if EA doesn't listen they would just withdraw the license. That's a huge reason (along with MUT) that franchise mode has had many features taken away and little improvement where people want it. The reason we have premade relocation teams in 18 is because the NFL decided so. That's how it mutually benefits both sides.
I think it's a lot simpler than that. It's money, full stop.

Using some made-up numbers for illustration, if the NFL offered the license for $25 Million/year to anyone that wanted it, they would have 2, maybe 3 takers at the most - there's a theoretical maximum they can charge, since there just aren't that many publishers that can afford those kinds of figures and are also in a position to get a return on that investment with sales from their game. If, however, EA makes the NFL an offer for $100 Million/year if they are the sole license-holder, well, that's a no-brainer for the league. It's basically an auction, and EA has deeper pockets than any other publisher.

The NFL gets more money than they otherwise would have (maximizing the value of their license), and EA gets (effectively) exclusive rights to make football games. Everybody wins. Except for us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #26
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

I refuse to really entertain this. Until I hear something official from 2k, then its not even worth a discussion. No offense to OP, but this is the boy who cried wolf at this point. I have no hope

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #27
Rookie

RetroSportsGamerTom's Arena

I agree 2K is dead. It would be great to see a resurgence of one of the past games at a live tournament. Do you think there would be any interest in a live NFL 2K tournament?
Old 11-22-2017, 01:50 AM   #28
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

1) When Moody says "why pay for ESPN without NFL and vice versa" it stops right before vice versa. You'd still pay for NFL without ESPN, why, because EA doesn't even use ESPN in Madden anyways. The only game EA actually uses ESPN in is Live, so that basically says it all right there.

2) To everyone says 2K and EA both making games would be best for everyone is just biased and living in fantasy land. Them both making games would not be best for everyone, just the consumers and I guess the NFL. EA wouldnt like it because they have competition to worry about, and 2K woudnt like it because they would have competition and be the underdog in the competition.

In all honesty, 2K isnt going to be making another NFL game and it has nothing to do with ESPN or the current NFL. It actually, has EVERYTHING to do with the possibility of the NFL changing commissioners. And even then, the NFL could bring in a guy who makes the NFL an even WORSE No Fun League than it already is. But even if that helps, that doesn't mean Madden gets better. I mean, look at every game EA Sports makes. They all aren't really that good...
Old 11-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #29
MVP

EZMADDEN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
1) When Moody says "why pay for ESPN without NFL and vice versa" it stops right before vice versa. You'd still pay for NFL without ESPN, why, because EA doesn't even use ESPN in Madden anyways. The only game EA actually uses ESPN in is Live, so that basically says it all right there.

2) To everyone says 2K and EA both making games would be best for everyone is just biased and living in fantasy land. Them both making games would not be best for everyone, just the consumers and I guess the NFL. EA wouldnt like it because they have competition to worry about, and 2K woudnt like it because they would have competition and be the underdog in the competition.

In all honesty, 2K isnt going to be making another NFL game and it has nothing to do with ESPN or the current NFL. It actually, has EVERYTHING to do with the possibility of the NFL changing commissioners. And even then, the NFL could bring in a guy who makes the NFL an even WORSE No Fun League than it already is. But even if that helps, that doesn't mean Madden gets better. I mean, look at every game EA Sports makes. They all aren't really that good...

I’m sorry, but I have no idea what arguments you’re even trying to make in this post. I also don’t see how competition could possibly be bad??
Old 12-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #30
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Let's pretend everything went back to the way it was with different developers/publishers being able to use the NFL/NFLPA licenses ...would 2k & Visual Concepts even WANT to get back into the market at this point? Seems 2k's focus is NBA2k after consolidating their resources into that game. To have to re-allocate some of those resources to an NFL-Licensed game after all this time...would that even be of any interest to them now?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #31
---

TexasFan2005's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Let's pretend everything went back to the way it was with different developers/publishers being able to use the NFL/NFLPA licenses ...would 2k & Visual Concepts even WANT to get back into the market at this point? Seems 2k's focus is NBA2k after consolidating their resources into that game. To have to re-allocate some of those resources to an NFL-Licensed game after all this time...would that even be of any interest to them now?

ABSOLUTELY

And for the very same reasons EA Sports releases NBA Live, even if it's every other year... or even a few years after the holy mess that was NBA Elite 11. Did anyone actually think that EA could recover from that and actually compete with NBA 2k, a franchise that has revolutionized basketball simulation since it's inception in 1999? Probably not. Have they gained back the confidence from the sports gaming community that they can make a yearly title that competes with NBA 2k? No. Does that stop them from releasing NBA Live just to maintain a presence as a sports gaming giant? Hell no, and you better believe that as long as the NBA license is open, EA will try to compete in the market.

So if we are indeed pretending that everything went back to how it was before with the open licenses, etc, it would be unfathomable if 2k Sports didn't jump at the opportunity to make an NFL game the minute they could. This is the same company that came out of nowhere to compete with Madden and NBA Live when they were considered the pinnacle of football and basketball gaming, and as Sega Dreamcast exclusives for crying out loud. Could it take some time to deliver a good football game? Sure, but they are American sports game developers, and the NFL is the biggest show in town.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #32
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
That's an excellent point and yet another reason why I don't see NFL2K returning. 2K has made NBA2K bigger than Madden. They needed the NFL liscence to move units. That's not the case any longer for them. Plus I'm sure a nonexclusive NBA liscence is much cheaper than the NFL would be. Then you add in the development costs and stuff and it makes less sense.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »