Home

World Cup 2014: The Finals, Simulated (by CCB)

This is a discussion on World Cup 2014: The Finals, Simulated (by CCB) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
World Cup 2014: The Finals, Simulated (by CCB)

Hey all,

My name's Carlos and I used to be quite active on this forum a few years ago. Some of you more diehard footy fans may remember my San Marino and Portugal stories on WC2010 and Euro 2012, or my short Yeovil Town story from earlier this year.

Essentially, I haven't had much time to get creative with my sports gaming, but with my high school graduation coming up at the end of June, I'm on full coast mode now!

So, without further ado...let's simulate the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil!

Predictions:

Group A
Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Group B
Spain
Chile
Netherlands
Australia

Group C
Colombia (even without Falcao)
Japan
Greece
Ivory Coast

Group D
Uruguay
Italy
Costa Rica
England

Group E
France
Ecuador
Switz.
Honduras

Group F
Argentina
Nigeria
Bosnia
Iran

Group G
Germany
Portugal
Ghana
USA

Group H
Belgium
Algeria
Russia
South Korea

The in-game schedule mimics the real-life one, so my next post will feature match recaps from Group A & B action!

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: World Cup 2014: The Finals, Simulated (by CCB)

Group A

Brazil 2, Croatia 2
A wild opening match of the 2014 World Cup saw the hosts dominate Croatia but fail to take home all three points.

Neymar
gave the hosts a dream start, burying a Fred rebound in the 18th minute to bring the Sao Paulo fans to their feet. Veteran striker Ivica Olic then drew the Croats level in the 44th minute, when he placed a strong header past Julio César just before the stroke of halftime. Olic then gave the Croats a shock 2-1 lead in the 68th minute, when he headed home yet again, this time off of a Mario Mandzukic rebound which was poorly spilled by César. But, the upset of the tournament was not to be written on opening night, as Neymar drew the host Brazilians level in the 86th minute, when he volleyed an Oscar free kick in to salvage a point for the hosts, who outshot Croatia 13-6.

M.O.T.M. - Neymar, Brazil (2 goals)

Mexico 3, Cameroon 2
Thanks to a man-of-the-match performance from Gio Dos Santos, Mexico reversed a two-nil deficit to take all three points off of their African opposition.

Cameroon got off to an incredible start, courtesy of none other than national legend Samuel Eto'o, who ripped a shot from twenty-five yards out past the Mexican 'keeper Corona in the 7th minute. Eto'o then doubled the Africans' lead in the 30th, when his free kick from just outside the Mexican penalty area bounced off the crossbar and in- all seemed in order for the Camerouni at halftime, as they led two-nil and had outshot Mexico 7-1. However, Chicharito got the Mexicans on the board in the 53rd minute, when he headed home beautifully from a corner kick, and the ball started rolling for the CONCACAF champions. Gio Dos Santos, formerly a failed prospect at Barcelona, tied the match for los Mexicanos in the 74th minute, smashing home a rocket from close range. Dos Santos then scored in injury time to snag all three points for the Mexicans, capitalizing on a poor defensive turnover from Cameroon's Chedjou. Final shots counted twelve apiece, and a draw probably would've been a fairer result.

M.O.T.M. - Gio Dos Santos, Mexico (2 goals)

Group B

Spain 1, Netherlands 1
Spaniards obliterate Dutch, but late Strootman equalizer steals point for De Oranje.

It wasn't pretty, but Louis van Gaal's Netherlands side managed to steal a point off of rivals Spain. Xavi put the defending champions up in the 27th minute, when he finessed a beautiful curled effort into the top corner of the Dutch net past Michel Vorm. Spain continued to press, but Vorm made four or five incredible stops, including one diving stop off of his own goal line! Against all odds, Kevin Strootman intercepted an errant Sergio Ramos pass in the 78th minute before slotting home past Iker Casillas to somehow draw the Dutch level, as it would stay until the final whistle. Shots tallied 19-2 in favor of the Spanish, who will feel they've been robbed of two points.

M.O.T.M. - Michel Vorm, Netherlands (11 saves on 12 shots on target)

Australia 1, Chile 5
Flying Chilenos deliver crushing blow to embarrassed Socceroos via Vargas, Sanchez.

What a huge game-changer, in their first games of the tournament. The Chileans came out of the gate ramping up the tempo, and Australia were at their mercy all afternoon. Alexis Sanchez got the party started for Chile just twelve minutes in, burying a loose ball with a one-timed blast that glanced off of the Australian goalpost before going in. Sanchez struck again in the 28th minute, slotting home into a virtually-empty net after a great goalmouth feed from Eduardo Vargas, and the Chileans were firmly in control. Australia showed their only sign of life in the 40th minute, when Brett Holman made a fantastic run on the counter-attack to cut the lead to one. Chile scored a backbreaker in first half injury time through Eduardo Vargas, on a shot from distance that, in all honesty, should've been stopped. Chile would add goals from Vargas and Jorge Valdivia late on, and the embarrassment of the Socceroos was complete.

M.O.T.M. - Eduardo Vargas, Chile (2 goals, 1 assist)

Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2

Love the recaps, the detail is awesome. Very enjoyable. But just side note, the Mexicans aren't the CONCACAF champions, they finished in third. The USA finished top of the table in qualifying.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #4
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
Love the recaps, the detail is awesome. Very enjoyable. But just side note, the Mexicans aren't the CONCACAF champions, they finished in third. The USA finished top of the table in qualifying.
Mexico finished fourth and won a playoff vs New Zealand.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11

This is awesome! You are getting great results. What sliders and settings are you using?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
True, but Mexico's won six Gold Cups, the US has only won five

Groups C and D coming up!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Rookie

Group C

Colombia 1, Greece 2
Quick strikes allow Greeks to settle into defensive shell against listless Colombia.

In a somewhat-surprising result, defense-oriented Greece came out of their opening match with all three points against a decidedly-average Colombia. Hellas got off to an excellent start, thanks to Konstantinos Mitroglou's 10th minute finish from close range. The Greeks then shockingly doubled their lead just five minutes later, as national team legend Giorgios Samaras blasted a shot into the top corner from a bad angle on a goal Colombian 'keeper David Ospina probably should have stopped. The Greeks then went into shutdown mode defensively, allowing Colombia just three shots total despite the Colombians enjoying a whopping 81% of possession! Colombia got one back late through James Rodriguez, who buried an absolute beauty from twenty-five yards out deep in injury time, too late to mount a serious comeback. An excellent three points for the Greeks, who will be feeling slightly better about their chances of mirroring their shock EURO 2004 victory now.

M.O.T.M. - Giorgios Samaras, Greece (1 goal)

Cote d'Ivoire 3, Japan 0
Drogba takes the day in a flashback to his golden years.

While the scoreline was slightly misleading, with Japan having outshot the victors 17-6, it was Cote d'Ivoire and their timeless captain Didier Drogba that came away smiling. Jean-Jacques Gosso headed home from a Bolly corner just six minutes in, and the Africans never looked back. Gervinho used his trademark speed to race through the Japanese defence before slotting home a cool through ball from Drogba. It was the captain himself, Drogba, who would bring the festivities to a close in the 81st, wrapping up the afternoon with a calm, collected finish from in close past Kawashima.

M.O.T.M. - Didier Drogba, Cote d'Ivoire (1 goal, 1 assist)

Group D

England 1, Italy 3
Prandelli's men put in quality performance against sub-par England.

It was not an opener to remember for Roy Hodgson's young England squad. Daniele de Rossi opened the scoring for a deserving Italian team on 27 minutes, and the rest was history. de Rossi scored a penalty just before halftime (45+2), and Prandelli's side led two-nil at the break.Claudio Marchisio scored just after the restart (48th), and the game was essentially over just after halftime. Daniel Sturridge got one back late for the English, popping home a Rooney rebound in the 86th minute, but it was too little too late for Roy Hodgson's side, who were outshot 11-4 by a clinical Italy.

M.O.T.M. - Daniele de Rossi, Italy (2 goals)

Uruguay 4, Costa Rica 0
Ruthless Uruguay flourish under Oscar Tabarez's leadership, with Suarez, Cavani shining.

While few pundits are giving Costa Rica much of a chance, the thorough defeat they suffered at the hands of Oscar Tabarez's Uruguay will be sure to turn a few heads around Brazil and the world. Christian Stuani opened the scoring for the South Americans in the 15th minute, when he fired home from the edge of the 18 yard-box with a lovely curled effort. The plucky Costa Ricans managed to hold out until halftime, but the second half offered them no respite. Luis Suarez scored the goal of the tournament thus far in the 52nd minute, running through the heart of the Costa Rican defence before chipping the ball over the 'keeper and finishing it off on the bounce to put the game to bed. Edinson Cavani scored a beautiful free kick in the 64th, as his swerving effort glanced off the goalpost before going in. Cristian Rodriguez rubbed salt in the wound late, burying a Suarez rebound in injury time for the sake of goal difference and the excuse to celebrate on the international stage.

M.O.T.M. - Edinson Cavani, Uruguay (1 goal, 1 assist)

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »