Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Just saw some major BCS shenanigans last night (/forums/showthread.php?t=181750)

mierk 08-31-2006 08:15 PM

Just saw some major BCS shenanigans last night

So I've been ranked #1 all year and locked up my spot in the title game in my 2nd dynasty season. However, there's a battle for #2 between 12-0 West Virginia and 11-1 LSU going into conference championship weekend. #3 LSU beats #9 South Carolina in the SEC title game...and leapfrogs undefeated WVU for the title game berth, despite being ranked behind them in both polls, and not collecting a single 1st place vote (all of which were split between me and the Mountaineers.) WVU goes on to win their bowl game against unranked NC State, who upset #6 Virginia Tech in the ACC championship and finish 13-0 and ranked #2 for the 2nd year in a row, after I beat them in the title game the year before. Gotta think there were plenty of virtual couches aflame in Morgantown!

jazzchamp 08-31-2006 08:45 PM

Re: Just saw some major BCS shenanigans last night

Sounds like EA got the BCS down pretty good!

Spanky 08-31-2006 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mierk (Post 2598444)
Gotta think there were plenty of virtual couches aflame in Morgantown!

Not to mention a lot of burned and overturned tractors.

JIMIHEMMY 09-01-2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mierk (Post 2598444)
So I've been ranked #1 all year and locked up my spot in the title game in my 2nd dynasty season. However, there's a battle for #2 between 12-0 West Virginia and 11-1 LSU going into conference championship weekend. #3 LSU beats #9 South Carolina in the SEC title game...and leapfrogs undefeated WVU for the title game berth, despite being ranked behind them in both polls, and not collecting a single 1st place vote (all of which were split between me and the Mountaineers.) WVU goes on to win their bowl game against unranked NC State, who upset #6 Virginia Tech in the ACC championship and finish 13-0 and ranked #2 for the 2nd year in a row, after I beat them in the title game the year before. Gotta think there were plenty of virtual couches aflame in Morgantown!

LSU jumps over WVU because they got a few extra points by playing an extra game and defeating a somewhat highly ranked opponent which helps their strength of schedule which helps in BCS ranking.

WVU playing in the Big East should not have as strong of schedule as LSU would being in the SEC. They were probably only seperated by a few points before the SEC title game. They got a few extra points after winning it.

mierk 09-01-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMIHEMMY (Post 2599335)
LSU jumps over WVU because they got a few extra points by playing an extra game and defeating a somewhat highly ranked opponent which helps their strength of schedule which helps in BCS ranking.

WVU playing in the Big East should not have as strong of schedule as LSU would being in the SEC. They were probably only seperated by a few points before the SEC title game. They got a few extra points after winning it.

Oh, I understand the rationale behind it. It just is really surprising to see it in action. If they were all undefeated it'd make a bit more sense, but to see a 1 loss team leapfrog an undefeated one is definitely a surprise. I forgot to go back and look at exactly who each school had played and who LSU lost to and when.

And a sidenote, WVU has turned out to be a powerhouse so far after 2 years of dynasty play -- their only loss was to me in the national title game in year 1. It'll be interesting to see if they start to slip once their real life players move out of the game and they are based entirely on who they recruit in the game.

GnarlyKing 09-01-2006 01:15 PM

I've seen a crazy one in my first dynasty season. USC was undefeated and #1, no problem there. However, Ohio State was somehow ranked #3 in the polls with 2 losses and picked to play in the title game over an undefeated WVU team, 1 loss teams Iowa(Big 10 champs), OU, Florida, and a 2 loss Texas team that beat them.

I guess EA really doesn't like West Virginia.

Mizzou23 09-01-2006 01:40 PM

I think West Virginia won a title during on of my seasons.

In my last season, I was #1 in the BCS rankings and Michigan was #2...we both had one less. Undefeated Louisville was ranked #3 and was totally shut out of the national title.

tedknick 09-01-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou23 (Post 2599870)
I think West Virginia won a title during on of my seasons.

In my last season, I was #1 in the BCS rankings and Michigan was #2...we both had one less. Undefeated Louisville was ranked #3 and was totally shut out of the national title.

Yeah, WVU won the title over Texas in year 3 or 4 of my dynasty. They are perenially in the top 5.