Home

Just saw some major BCS shenanigans last night

This is a discussion on Just saw some major BCS shenanigans last night within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Rookie

mierk's Arena

OVR: 4
Just saw some major BCS shenanigans last night

So I've been ranked #1 all year and locked up my spot in the title game in my 2nd dynasty season. However, there's a battle for #2 between 12-0 West Virginia and 11-1 LSU going into conference championship weekend. #3 LSU beats #9 South Carolina in the SEC title game...and leapfrogs undefeated WVU for the title game berth, despite being ranked behind them in both polls, and not collecting a single 1st place vote (all of which were split between me and the Mountaineers.) WVU goes on to win their bowl game against unranked NC State, who upset #6 Virginia Tech in the ACC championship and finish 13-0 and ranked #2 for the 2nd year in a row, after I beat them in the title game the year before. Gotta think there were plenty of virtual couches aflame in Morgantown!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Just saw some major BCS shenanigans last night

Sounds like EA got the BCS down pretty good!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mierk
Gotta think there were plenty of virtual couches aflame in Morgantown!
Not to mention a lot of burned and overturned tractors.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mierk
So I've been ranked #1 all year and locked up my spot in the title game in my 2nd dynasty season. However, there's a battle for #2 between 12-0 West Virginia and 11-1 LSU going into conference championship weekend. #3 LSU beats #9 South Carolina in the SEC title game...and leapfrogs undefeated WVU for the title game berth, despite being ranked behind them in both polls, and not collecting a single 1st place vote (all of which were split between me and the Mountaineers.) WVU goes on to win their bowl game against unranked NC State, who upset #6 Virginia Tech in the ACC championship and finish 13-0 and ranked #2 for the 2nd year in a row, after I beat them in the title game the year before. Gotta think there were plenty of virtual couches aflame in Morgantown!
LSU jumps over WVU because they got a few extra points by playing an extra game and defeating a somewhat highly ranked opponent which helps their strength of schedule which helps in BCS ranking.

WVU playing in the Big East should not have as strong of schedule as LSU would being in the SEC. They were probably only seperated by a few points before the SEC title game. They got a few extra points after winning it.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
Rookie

mierk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMIHEMMY
LSU jumps over WVU because they got a few extra points by playing an extra game and defeating a somewhat highly ranked opponent which helps their strength of schedule which helps in BCS ranking.

WVU playing in the Big East should not have as strong of schedule as LSU would being in the SEC. They were probably only seperated by a few points before the SEC title game. They got a few extra points after winning it.
Oh, I understand the rationale behind it. It just is really surprising to see it in action. If they were all undefeated it'd make a bit more sense, but to see a 1 loss team leapfrog an undefeated one is definitely a surprise. I forgot to go back and look at exactly who each school had played and who LSU lost to and when.

And a sidenote, WVU has turned out to be a powerhouse so far after 2 years of dynasty play -- their only loss was to me in the national title game in year 1. It'll be interesting to see if they start to slip once their real life players move out of the game and they are based entirely on who they recruit in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

I've seen a crazy one in my first dynasty season. USC was undefeated and #1, no problem there. However, Ohio State was somehow ranked #3 in the polls with 2 losses and picked to play in the title game over an undefeated WVU team, 1 loss teams Iowa(Big 10 champs), OU, Florida, and a 2 loss Texas team that beat them.

I guess EA really doesn't like West Virginia.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
MVP

Mizzou23's Arena

OVR: 13

I think West Virginia won a title during on of my seasons.

In my last season, I was #1 in the BCS rankings and Michigan was #2...we both had one less. Undefeated Louisville was ranked #3 and was totally shut out of the national title.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Rookie

tedknick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou23
I think West Virginia won a title during on of my seasons.

In my last season, I was #1 in the BCS rankings and Michigan was #2...we both had one less. Undefeated Louisville was ranked #3 and was totally shut out of the national title.
Yeah, WVU won the title over Texas in year 3 or 4 of my dynasty. They are perenially in the top 5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »