Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Late inning goofiness (/forums/showthread.php?t=590110)

mistertony25 11-07-2012 11:41 AM

Late inning goofiness

I know...there "is no code" for the late-inning stuff that happens. I do have a complaint and perhaps, it's merely a glitch for my disc. But, one of two things happen in the late inning (8th and beyond) of a close game. The red circle for throwing seems delayed whenever an infielder picks up a ground ball or my fielders throw the ball to the plate, no matter what. Two-hopper to SS, I'll hit the circle [PS3] button to throw to 1B and the throw goes home. Single to left, fielded cleanly, I'll attempt to throw to the cut-off man and the throw goes home.
Again, it could be just my disc. But, it adds to the frustration of the late innings, as it is. I certainly do close some games out, in spite of this. But, lately, I've just been simming to the end of the game to avoid the headache.
Any thoughts?

HustlinOwl 11-07-2012 12:03 PM

Re: Late inning goofiness

never seen that maybe post a video to help or a controller issue

nomo17k 11-07-2012 12:44 PM

Yeah, could be a controller issue... or you might not be preloading throws correctly.

mistertony25 11-07-2012 04:11 PM

Thanks. I do use a fairly old controller, so I will make that change. Again, it happens in the late innings of close games only. I recently had a late 7-run lead in a game and all grounders were smooth. So, I don't know...
Thanks again.

zippy2212 11-07-2012 09:55 PM

Actually I just finished a game that something similar happened to me. A ball hit up the middle my second baseman gets it and throws off balance to 1st even though I hit the triangle button to throw the ball to second. That's the only time it ever happened to me and it was a big deal because I got the out anyway but for a second I was confused.

I'm guessing it just some sort of weird glitch.

mistertony25 11-12-2012 11:56 AM

As a follow-up, I did switch controllers and it has happened again. My thought is this:
There has to be some coding that makes late innings more competitive. I will hesitate to call it a "cheat code", but maybe the ratings of the CPU team are raised a bit. You can just tell that the hitters become more aggressive at the plate and maybe that's part of it.
It's not foreign to real life baseball [as a Brewers fan this year, I saw NUMEROUS bullpen implosions, but I digress], but it seems to be a little over the top to some of us.
That's just my take. I still play the game religiously and am looking forward to the March release.

nomo17k 11-12-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertony25 (Post 2044424787)
As a follow-up, I did switch controllers and it has happened again. My thought is this:
There has to be some coding that makes late innings more competitive. I will hesitate to call it a "cheat code", but maybe the ratings of the CPU team are raised a bit. You can just tell that the hitters become more aggressive at the plate and maybe that's part of it.
It's not foreign to real life baseball [as a Brewers fan this year, I saw NUMEROUS bullpen implosions, but I digress], but it seems to be a little over the top to some of us.
That's just my take. I still play the game religiously and am looking forward to the March release.

No, there's no such code in the game... people really need to think about why in the world the dev team wants to implement such a code in a game like this. There's nothing for them to gain from cheating on their customers. It's all in your head.

Another possibility is that you are pressing yourself in those tight situations. Your stick skills often get affected when you are excited.

Also, pitchers with less energy and less confidence as well as relievers in general are much, much less effective than you think they are (I personally think their weakness is a tiny bit too exaggerated, but that's not a seed for comeback). So you need to pitch carefully in late innings.

mistertony25 11-12-2012 03:50 PM

Fair enough, but I guess we'll agree to disagree.
"Pitching carefully" is subjective. I know that I try to mix it up over the course of the game. I consciously try not to do the same patterns that the game sometimes falls into...pitch inside, pitch outside, pitch inside, pitch outside...
Again, I still love the game and don't let the little annoyances ruin the experience. Plus, I have the power to sim, as needed.