Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   College Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   NFL Draft Early Entrees (/forums/showthread.php?t=594800)

Jr. 12-10-2012 02:39 PM

NFL Draft Early Entrees

If this doesn't need it's own thread it can be closed. But I figured it would be nice to have a place to keep track of who has officially declared and have some discussion about the merits of those declaring.

Marcus Lattimore entering NFL Draft: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...l-draft-source

Quote:

Lattimore understands he may have to sit out the upcoming season, but has a goal of jogging and catching passes at the end of March for NFL executives, and plans to visit with them at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.
It'll be interesting to see where he gets drafted. The talent is obvious, but 2 serious knee injuries will concern a lot of GMs I'm sure.

Kriech23 12-10-2012 02:46 PM

Re: NFL Draft Early Entrees

Ohio St. DT Jonathan Hankins declares for draft.

Sportsbuck 12-10-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriech23 (Post 2044515249)
Ohio St. DT Jonathan Hankins declares for draft.

He's going to be a very, very good pro. Wish we could've had him for another year, but with first round money on the table you gotta go.

Shibito 12-10-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsbuck (Post 2044515695)
He's going to be a very, very good pro. Wish we could've had him for another year, but with first round money on the table you gotta go.

First round money isn't much anymore, but ya, being a potential first round pick is hard to pass on.

cdawg44 12-10-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baughn3 (Post 2044515226)
If this doesn't need it's own thread it can be closed. But I figured it would be nice to have a place to keep track of who has officially declared and have some discussion about the merits of those declaring.

Marcus Lattimore entering NFL Draft: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...l-draft-source

It'll be interesting to see where he gets drafted. The talent is obvious, but 2 serious knee injuries will concern a lot of GMs I'm sure.

Smart Move. He will be a similar case to Willis McGahee where he got injured, then drafted and was able to rehab during his first year

Jr. 12-10-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdawg44 (Post 2044516819)
Smart Move. He will be a similar case to Willis McGahee where he got injured, then drafted and was able to rehab during his first year

Yeah, but I wonder if he'll still go in the first round. Lattimore has an equally devastating knee injury that McGahee had.... plus another injury in the other knee.

cdawg44 12-11-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baughn3 (Post 2044516841)
Yeah, but I wonder if he'll still go in the first round. Lattimore has an equally devastating knee injury that McGahee had.... plus another injury in the other knee.

I doubt it. But you have to remember that almost all running backs are not first round anymore. With teams finding guys like Arian Foster, there is no need to invest that high of a pick anymore. Even if he was healthy, he was a 2nd round pick at best. Lattimore probably goes to a team with a boatload a picks in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round IMHO.

Jr. 12-11-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdawg44 (Post 2044518692)
I doubt it. But you have to remember that almost all running backs are not first round anymore. With teams finding guys like Arian Foster, there is no need to invest that high of a pick anymore. Even if he was healthy, he was a 2nd round pick at best. Lattimore probably goes to a team with a boatload a picks in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round IMHO.

The guys with no doubt talent are still going in the first round (Trent Richardson, for instance). Lattimore was a top 10 talent, but that's a good point that teams are much less willing to use top picks on RBs. I agree that he will likely be taken after the 3rd round.

redsrule 12-12-2012 08:03 AM

If he is taken past the third round, then he will be a steal for someone if he returns healthy.

Rancid Radio 12-13-2012 01:36 PM

Knile Davis declared for the draft.

I thought he would stay to raise his draft stock after a disappointing season. He'll probably be a later pick, but he's got a lot of upside. Had an excellent 2010 season, but is injury prone. Wish him nothing but the best in the pro's, I think he'll wind up being a pretty good player.

TripleCrown9 12-13-2012 01:42 PM

I think he'll be a pretty good backup over the next few seasons. Depending on the team, he could be decent starter.

volstopfan14 12-13-2012 02:02 PM

There is a report that Justin Hunter has declared. Not really surprising at all. I'd expect Tyler Bray and Cordarrelle Patterson to follow soon.

IMO, none of them are ready but it sounds like they all are going to go anyway.

Shibito 12-13-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volstopfan14 (Post 2044524229)
There is a report that Justin Hunter has declared. Not really surprising at all. I'd expect Tyler Bray and Cordarrelle Patterson to follow soon.

IMO, none of them are ready but it sounds like they all are going to go anyway.

Are they leaving due to the HC change?

volstopfan14 12-13-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shibito (Post 2044524334)
Are they leaving due to the HC change?

It was assumed that they would go pro regardless of who the head coach was, so I don't think that is a big factor.

Patterson is leaving because he very likely would not be eligible (grades) if he returned.

maximized98 12-14-2012 04:32 PM

Giovani Benard is opting to go in the NFL Draft. What is up with Soph leaving early?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...ares-nfl-draft

Shibito 12-14-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximized98 (Post 2044527421)
Giovani Benard is opting to go in the NFL Draft. What is up with Soph leaving early?

I think he's the top rated RB prospect by quite a few analysts. Hard to turn that down with so many RB's having a short shelf life.

Jr. 12-14-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shibito (Post 2044527480)
I think he's the top rated RB prospect by quite a few analysts. Hard to turn that down with so many RB's having a short shelf life.

Yep, no sense in sticking around and suffering a major injury the likes of Lattimore. If you're going to get hurt, might as well get paid while you can't play.

Chrisksaint 12-14-2012 07:25 PM

Runningbacks have no reason to stay longer then they have to if they are going to be drafted, RBs are becoming a position with a short life.

cdawg44 12-16-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximized98 (Post 2044527421)

I would have had his head examined if he stayed another year. He needed to go. More than likely a 2nd round pick.

volstopfan14 12-17-2012 06:14 PM

Justin Hunter has declared for the draft. Tennessee RT Ja'Wuan James has officially decided to return for his senior season.

Hunter has a ton of talent and potential. He really needs a good WR coach at the next level to help him improve at the little things that seperate a good WR from a great WR.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...2013-nfl-draft

CrimsonGator96 12-17-2012 10:56 PM

Stedman Bailey will go pro, according to Dana Holgorsen.

seasprite 12-18-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volstopfan14 (Post 2044536022)
Justin Hunter has declared for the draft. Tennessee RT Ja'Wuan James has officially decided to return for his senior season.

Hunter has a ton of talent and potential. He really needs a good WR coach at the next level to help him improve at the little things that seperate a good WR from a great WR.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/b...2013-nfl-draft

If we had decent coaching instead of the suck that Dooley brought and if Charlie Baggett had stayed on board, there is no doubt in my mind that Hunter would have been an All American here at UT. I think he will do very well in the NFL.

volstopfan14 12-18-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seasprite (Post 2044538132)
If we had decent coaching instead of the suck that Dooley brought and if Charlie Baggett had stayed on board, there is no doubt in my mind that Hunter would have been an All American here at UT. I think he will do very well in the NFL.

I agree. Our WR coaching was awful last year. They were undisciplined, dropped passes, ran poor routes, and didn't block. Hinshaw was a good recruiter, but a poor WR coach.

maximized98 12-18-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volstopfan14 (Post 2044538548)
I agree. Our WR coaching was awful last year. They were undisciplined, dropped passes, ran poor routes, and didn't block. Hinshaw was a good recruiter, but a poor WR coach.

How is that the coaches fault ?

If a WR doesn't block, and he drops passes, that is on the WR not the coach.

If you are a WR, you should already know that you are supposed to block, long before you get to college.

seasprite 12-19-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximized98 (Post 2044538602)
How is that the coaches fault ?

If a WR doesn't block, and he drops passes, that is on the WR not the coach.

If you are a WR, you should already know that you are supposed to block, long before you get to college.

There is a reason that coaches and even position coaches are paid high salaries. Coaching makes a huge difference most of the time even with basic techiques in their players.

volstopfan14 12-19-2012 07:01 PM

Butch Jones said that Cordarrelle Patterson is going pro. No word on Bray yet.

seasprite 12-20-2012 08:55 AM

Will be very surprised if Bray doesnt declare. He has grade issues and doesnt fit with the incoming staff's offensive scheme.

Watson 12-20-2012 09:56 AM

Brad Wing: Profession Moron

Quote:

@CodyWorsham: LSU punter Brad Wing suspended for Chick-fil-A Bowl and is likely done at LSU:
http://www.tigerrag.com/?p=237552

Because going pro as punter AFTER being suspended for drugs is the logical choice of action

LowerWolf 12-20-2012 11:20 PM

Bray is reportedly gone too. No surprise that he, CP and Hunter are all gone.

TripleCrown9 12-21-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowerWolf (Post 2044545123)
Bray is reportedly gone too. No surprise that he, CP and Hunter are all gone.

Where do Vols fans see these 3 going? I think Hunter will be the first one off the board.

LowerWolf 12-21-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleCrown9 (Post 2044546334)
Where do Vols fans see these 3 going? I think Hunter will be the first one off the board.

I think Patterson will be first of the three to get drafted, mid-to-late first round. He's a tremendous athlete and incredibly elusive, but needs to improve his route running and consistency.

I think Hunter goes second round. But with a good combine could get into the first.

Bray's kind of like Mallett was a few years ago. Has all the physical tools, but you question the intangibles. I'll go with third round for him.

volstopfan14 12-22-2012 01:53 PM

Patterson will rise and Hunter will fall as we get closer to draft day. I'd say 1st for CP and late first or early 2nd for Hunter.

I'm not really sure what to think of Bray. I could see him really falling into the 3rd round but with this weak QB class I could see someone taking a chance on him early.

Kaiser Wilhelm 12-25-2012 07:36 PM

Not sure if this is the place, but does anybody think that poor grades are a character sign? I'm not saying 4.0 stuff, but flirting with academic suspension stuff. Seems like a big character problem to me. One thing you look for in a QB is character.

I mean, if a guy is leaving due to grades, I would be a bit put off by it.

maximized98 12-26-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm (Post 2044555537)
Not sure if this is the place, but does anybody think that poor grades are a character sign? I'm not saying 4.0 stuff, but flirting with academic suspension stuff. Seems like a big character problem to me. One thing you look for in a QB is character.

I mean, if a guy is leaving due to grades, I would be a bit put off by it.

The NFL doesn't care about character at all, look at Suh, TO, and others. They actually seem to like people like that, because it draws attention and the NFL makes money off of them through fines.

jth1331 12-28-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximized98 (Post 2044556372)
The NFL doesn't care about character at all, look at Suh, TO, and others. They actually seem to like people like that, because it draws attention and the NFL makes money off of them through fines.

I think you're wrong there. TO had several teams cast him away due to his character, even though on the field he made the team better.

Kaiser Wilhelm 12-29-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

I heard the main reason the Colts chose Manning over Leaf was because of his character compared to the character of the latter.

If I am a coach/GM, character is one of the biggest determining factors. I'd rather have a guy who has the tools, good character but lacks skill, than a guy with tools, skills but poor character. That's why I wish these college coaches had more character themselves, which is why I cannot stand guys like Nick Saban.

z Revis 12-30-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

They absolutely do take character into account, at least the teams do. TO is a bad example, there's a reason he's not on a team right now. Look at how many teams he's went through as well.

If you're a great player, the tolerance level of character issues is higher, and teams are more willing to give you a shot because of your talent, but once enough is enough you're gone.

bkrich83 12-30-2012 12:29 PM

If you think teams don't take character in to account, even more so since Roger Goodell took over you're kidding yourself. Character is absolutely a factor. No team wants to invest a ton of money and eat up their salary cap on guys with questionable character.

Amoo316 12-30-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowerWolf (Post 2044546351)
Bray's kind of like Mallett was a few years ago. Has all the physical tools, but you question the intangibles. I'll go with third round for him.

Not trying to start anything here, but I think Mallett's only knock was maturity, Bray has many, many more questions, including maturity. Bray is a good QB, and I'm glad UF won't have to see him next year in the hands of a better coaching staff, but I don't think he's near the level of a proven talent, Mallett was coming out.

Kobalt 12-31-2012 06:36 PM

Robert Woods is entering the draft.