Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   College Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   NFL Draft Early Entrees (/forums/showthread.php?t=594800)

Kaiser Wilhelm 12-25-2012 07:36 PM

Re: NFL Draft Early Entrees

Not sure if this is the place, but does anybody think that poor grades are a character sign? I'm not saying 4.0 stuff, but flirting with academic suspension stuff. Seems like a big character problem to me. One thing you look for in a QB is character.

I mean, if a guy is leaving due to grades, I would be a bit put off by it.

maximized98 12-26-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm (Post 2044555537)
Not sure if this is the place, but does anybody think that poor grades are a character sign? I'm not saying 4.0 stuff, but flirting with academic suspension stuff. Seems like a big character problem to me. One thing you look for in a QB is character.

I mean, if a guy is leaving due to grades, I would be a bit put off by it.

The NFL doesn't care about character at all, look at Suh, TO, and others. They actually seem to like people like that, because it draws attention and the NFL makes money off of them through fines.

jth1331 12-28-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximized98 (Post 2044556372)
The NFL doesn't care about character at all, look at Suh, TO, and others. They actually seem to like people like that, because it draws attention and the NFL makes money off of them through fines.

I think you're wrong there. TO had several teams cast him away due to his character, even though on the field he made the team better.

Kaiser Wilhelm 12-29-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

I heard the main reason the Colts chose Manning over Leaf was because of his character compared to the character of the latter.

If I am a coach/GM, character is one of the biggest determining factors. I'd rather have a guy who has the tools, good character but lacks skill, than a guy with tools, skills but poor character. That's why I wish these college coaches had more character themselves, which is why I cannot stand guys like Nick Saban.

z Revis 12-30-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

They absolutely do take character into account, at least the teams do. TO is a bad example, there's a reason he's not on a team right now. Look at how many teams he's went through as well.

If you're a great player, the tolerance level of character issues is higher, and teams are more willing to give you a shot because of your talent, but once enough is enough you're gone.

bkrich83 12-30-2012 12:29 PM

If you think teams don't take character in to account, even more so since Roger Goodell took over you're kidding yourself. Character is absolutely a factor. No team wants to invest a ton of money and eat up their salary cap on guys with questionable character.

Amoo316 12-30-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowerWolf (Post 2044546351)
Bray's kind of like Mallett was a few years ago. Has all the physical tools, but you question the intangibles. I'll go with third round for him.

Not trying to start anything here, but I think Mallett's only knock was maturity, Bray has many, many more questions, including maturity. Bray is a good QB, and I'm glad UF won't have to see him next year in the hands of a better coaching staff, but I don't think he's near the level of a proven talent, Mallett was coming out.

Kobalt 12-31-2012 06:36 PM

Robert Woods is entering the draft.