Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   BA/Hits drop off cliff simming 8+ seasons into Franchise (/forums/showthread.php?t=840470)

bakersville123 04-22-2015 11:27 AM

BA/Hits drop off cliff simming 8+ seasons into Franchise

I was running some sim tests last night starting multiple franchises using the 'current' roster option and I noticed that Batting Average and Hit totals drop off a cliff right around the time the original players age and are replaced by generated rookies. Approximately 8+ years or so into a franchise.

The batting champions where in some cases .296. Most seasons after 8-9 seasons, there is only 1 or 2 people batting .300 or a bit better.

Also, the hit leaders totals drop off as well with the league leaders around 175, a direct correlation to the drop in BA IMO.

I will actually document some metrics tonight as I plan on re-siming several franchises to repeat the process. But what I did last night produced this summary:

-BA/Hit totals look great for the first 6-8 years of a new franchise. Generally 10-15 players over .300 every year and batting champions are typically .325 or higher.

-League leaders in Hits are right around 200, if not a bit higher for first 6-8 years

Then, as computer generated players make their way to the big leagues a decrease in BA/Hits is observed. Consistently.

What I noticed with pitching is that after the first year of a new franchise the league leaders in ERA have a H/9 rating somewhere in the low 70's on average.

After 10+ seasons however, the ERA leaders (by this time generated players) have a H/9 average of close to 90+.

Seems to me that the H/9 attributes for generated pitchers is getting out of control as the franchise progresses.

One thought (if this isn't patched and corrected) is that you can edit incoming rookie pitchers manually one by one. I'm relatively new to the Show, so I'm not sure that this is the only option or not. Also, I don't see a way to edit the potential H/9 attribute; only the current, which is typically low for a rookie.

What I'll try doing is dropping the rookie pitchers H/9 by 20%. Does anyone know of a way this can be done globally? I'm guessing not.

nomo17k 04-22-2015 11:36 AM

Re: BA/Hits drop off cliff simming 8+ seasons into Franchise

This has been known... or at least I also noticed it at the community week event and left a note about it. It used to be the offense getting inflated, but it's the other way now.

bakersville123 04-22-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomo17k (Post 2047246217)
This has been known... or at least I also noticed it at the community week event and left a note about it. It used to be the offense getting inflated, but it's the other way now.

Ok, so for those with more Show experience than me, are there any other methods available to edit players/draft picks (globally?) versus going in manually one by one? I definitely feel that at least part of the issue causing BA/Hits to drop off are related to generated pitchers H/9 getting out of control over multiple seasons.

Maverick09 04-22-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakersville123 (Post 2047246363)
Ok, so for those with more Show experience than me, are there any other methods available to edit players/draft picks (globally?) versus going in manually one by one? I definitely feel that at least part of the issue causing BA/Hits to drop off are related to generated pitchers H/9 getting out of control over multiple seasons.

From what I've observed, drafted pitchers have inflated ratings largely due to the ridiculous potential ratings that are generated.

There are too many pitchers in the draft that come in the league with A potentials (With a few every year having 95-99 potentials). SP's with A potentials get drafted in the late rounds on a regular basis every year; it's something that needs to be tuned.

I correct this by lowering the potential ratings individually. Not many SP's get drafted, so it doesn't take that long to edit them 1 by 1. That should solve the problem you are seeing in the future, where the league is saturated with 90+ OVR pitchers posting 1.50 ERAs.

bakersville123 04-22-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick09 (Post 2047246433)
From what I've observed, drafted pitchers have inflated ratings largely due to the ridiculous potential ratings that are generated.

There are too many pitchers in the draft that come in the league with A potentials (With a few every year having 95-99 potentials). SP's with A potentials get drafted in the late rounds on a regular basis every year; it's something that needs to be tuned.

I correct this by lowering the potential ratings individually. Not many SP's get drafted, so it doesn't take that long to edit them 1 by 1. That should solve the problem you are seeing in the future, where the league is saturated with 90+ OVR pitchers posting 1.50 ERAs.

Nice. So you are simply lowering Overall Potential. Easy enough.

Do you have a formula you can recommend? Do you always reduce by "X%", or -10 etc ?

Also, what is the easiest method to see which SP's have been drafted and by what team? And what is the best time to edit them during the season?

Maverick09 04-22-2015 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakersville123 (Post 2047246457)
Nice. So you are simply lowering Overall Potential. Easy enough.

Do you have a formula you can recommend? Do you always reduce by "X%", or -10 etc ?

Also, what is the easiest method to see which SP's have been drafted and by what team? And what is the best time to edit them during the season?

These are all good questions.

To be honest with you, I haven't gotten far enough in a franchise to draft players yet; however I've simmed a few years like OP did in another franchise test file and noticed the same thing he has.

What I was thinking of doing is lowering every SP's potential by -10 points. Seeing as you can only edit drafted players after they've been implemented into the league, I was planning on taking down the names and teams that drafted SP's in the draft review section (where you can see all of the teams' selections).

As I mentioned before, not that many SP's are taken in the draft, so writing down all their names is pretty manageable. Once they've been implemented into their respective teams rosters at the beginning of the next season, I make the -10 potential edit. So SP's with 99 potential will have 89 potential (which is still a great potential; the player can still build upon it if he performs well).

To me, it just seems insane seeing several pitchers drafted in the 3rd or 4th round with A or B potential; all of these guys are destined to become major league aces. Which they end up being eventually, and ruin batting stats in the future. The picture below illustrates how badly it can get out of hand.

HopiDesertPriest 04-22-2015 05:08 PM

to me, this is just one more reason to plsy/sim all 2,430 MLB games and even some MILB games on current year's schedule.
It is a lotta fun and I simplydo not trust the sim engine in this game; to play far into the future.

MLB Bob 04-22-2015 05:23 PM

heres my strategy, I run 30 team control, I dont draft for the other 30 teams, but I sign the draftees for all teams. that way I can control who comes into the league. Some teams will sign 2-3 guys of the 5-7 drafted some teams get none, some 1 or 2 blue chippers.