Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   MLB The Show 17 Impressions (/forums/showthread.php?t=905062)

Bullit 03-21-2017 09:30 AM

MLB The Show 17 Impressions

Ok here is the deal. We may have a copy out there that is playable. I am waiting to see if it stays available.

When and if it does, I will open this thread for them to make posts about the game.

Rules:

1 Only those with a confirmed copy of the game may post in this thread. Anybody else will be banned, immediately. If you have requests send them via PM.

2. See above rule. We are not kidding.

From my understanding there is an embargo until Thursday. So until I hear otherwise this is going to stay closed until then.

Posters allowed

Willis
CujoMatty
Ckarlic
PhilliesFan13
P.A.D.
Bullit
MLamm16
Franch1se
Arizito Sports
COMMISSIONERHBK9
Arod2k9
ARoid1313
drsonoma
puckhogg11
Bryaness27
CAMPBLACKMAMBA24
angrysponge
HozAndMoose
RnRexpress3423
pompymousse85
Alias2191
RidinDwnKingsley
thaSLAB

Willis135 03-24-2017 12:39 PM

re: MLB The Show 17 Impressions

First of all, thanks to the developers for allowing me to keep a digital download that was unlocked by mistake. I was asked not to release any information earlier, and I agreed out of respect for the development team. Plus that allowed me to play the game for couple days without interruption. My early impressions are as follows.

This game is next gen and is the biggest graphical and animation improvement to date. I am playing on a standard original PS4, and have a decent 1080p set. Prior to seeing this game in action, I was trying to justify buying a pro and a Samsung ks8000( I may still make this purchase). The reason I bring this up is because after seeing it on a standard ps4 and 1080p tv, I won’t feel slighted in the least if I don’t upgrade and I continue playing on my current setup. The game looks incredible on the original ps4 and 1080P.

Everything in this game looks much improved and playing a game with clear skies will drop your jaw. The lighting from the sun on the stadiums and player models makes last years game look like a ps3 version. That is not a jab at 16, but a testament to 17’s improvements. The game looks impressive in all games, day/night overcast or clear skies, but when the sun is shining, the graphics go next level.

The framerate is definitely improved, both in gameplay and during cut scenes. Now I am not one who is sensitive to framerate, but the entire package has had a framerate bump IMO. The improvement in cut scenes is drastic and I haven’t seen a framerate drop in gameplay yet. Cut scenes still have a little studder(not much), but much improved over 16. But again I am not one who is sensitive to framerates.

The gameplay is so smooth and the player movements during fielding are much more natural and fluid. It appears that the outfielder speed and outfield size have been adjusted as I have seen plenty of hits over the outfielders head and several to dead center have beat the center fielder.

I am not a DD or RTTS player, but I did transfer over a RTTS player from 16 and his face had no issues and needed no adjusting. Only thing I noticed in my brief RTTS play was as soon as I entered it with my 16 transfer, the manager asked me to switch positions. Some people were worried that this was overdone. I am not saying that switching position has been overdone, it was just the first thing that popped up. It wasn’t a big deal for me since I am a center fielder and they asked me to move to left, but might be a frequent part of RTTS. We will have to wait and see.

Critical incidents is a welcome addition. I have enjoyed jumping into these games in important moments. Only thing I noticed, when I enter the game say in a closing opportunity, is that sometimes I have players out of position. If you enter a game, better look at your lineup to make sure you don’t have a SS playing catcher, which cost me a game on a passed ball. I have seen that, and infielders playing outfield. I am guessing this is a result of computer pinch hitting for your team during simulation the half inning before. Not a big deal, same thing happens if you are playing the game and use a pinch hitter. Just be aware and check your lineups when entering in a critical incident and make the appropriate changes.

Ball spin is as advertised. Hit variety is very impressive. I think my favorite new hit type that I’ve seen is the bloop single. It use to be a sure out in previous years, now the in between bloop hit is an exciting play. Sometimes they get caught, and other times they fall just out of reach and right in between the fielders. I can’t do it justice, but it’s a thing of beauty. This may have just been a coincidence, but I feel that clear skies with full sun plays a part in errors in the outfield. I have had a couple of errors where it appears that the fielder lost it in the sun. Could just be coincidence, but it seems intentional and I love it.

The entire game appears fresh, the colors are improved, and everything looks more lifelike. The gameplay is smooth, and the transition between animations appears seamless. I can’t imagine what those with 4k HDR tv’s and pro’s are going to experience, but standard] ps4 on 1080p is awesome. If you don’t have a pro or 4K tv, you will still be blown away by the visuals in this years game.

I don’t have nearly as much time as some on here to play, so I won’t be simming 20 years into the future and reporting results. I will do my best to answer questions for you. This is my early impression, I will add more as I notice them

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Willis135 03-24-2017 02:51 PM

Retro camera in normal gameplay is also my new camera choice. Been using it in franchise and love it

PhilliesFan13 03-24-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willis135 (Post 2048750383)
Retro camera in normal gameplay is also my new camera choice. Been using it in franchise and love it

I'll have to check that out sometime today. Update just finished for me. Time to check this baby out!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

PhilliesFan13 03-24-2017 03:10 PM

Well unfortunately I can't play with the enhanced visuals option on my TV. It is from 2011 so it doesn't have HDMI 2.2. I guess high framerate it is for now.

I need to get a new TV like now. Haha.

CujoMatty 03-24-2017 04:07 PM

I hinted about it but just to finally get it out there lol. 4k mode is way too choppy for me. Enhanced visuals setting however is amazing and smooth and honestly you can barely even tell the difference graphically between it and the 4k mode graphically anyways other than enhanced is super smooth and 4k is choppy. Could be my tv though just to be fair. I dont know

Another odd thing is there is a cutscene where they show the fielders with these dynamic nameplates over there head but every time ive seen them they end up covering each other and not looking good.

Retro mode i thought was kinda fun and quite funny for about 10 minutes but i cant see going back to it.

Ok got the bad out of the way and that truly was it for bad which is amazing.

The good.
First game i played was at rogers centre and it looked good but then i played at wrigley whoaaaaa
The colors just popped of the screen. The player models and detail are so vastly improved.

Gameplay
The smoothness is what jumps out most. Thats framerate as well as the humanity AI that all just make it feel like they got this thing a finely tuned machine humming along.....Finally

Also the new ball physics and hit variety jumped out as very noticeable immediately.

Create a player is really awesome this year. I can finally makeva true big guy and actual long hair is a thing. Some of the equipment choices seem odd but there is plenty there.

Sounds of the show is also better. Mainly just finely tuned like everything else with much more appropriate volumes.

The mlb network presentation is great and i thought id hate harold reynolds but hes actually pretty good. Dan plesac doesnt seem to say much though to the point i forget hes there.

I transffered over the blue jays from OSFM last year and there was some things that will need to be done in regards to hair style and color as well as skin tone color but they actually looked pretty good.

PhilliesFan13 03-24-2017 04:18 PM

I transferred over my RTTS player from 16 and he looks the same minus the skin tone being a bit odd. Very good news though.

CujoMatty 03-24-2017 04:54 PM

How good is that intro movie? Gave me goose bumps. That piano music is beautiful. Id like to know what song they used.