Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   What is arbitration? (/forums/showthread.php?t=912372)

Boling4Humor 08-02-2017 12:25 PM

What is arbitration?

In franchise I was scrolling through my team's budget and I noticed for many of my player's salary for next year it says ARB. What is arbitration and how does that affect my budget and the player? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

phantomshark 08-02-2017 12:28 PM

Re: What is arbitration?

When a player goes into arbitration, basically the player submits the salary he thinks he deserves, the team submits the salary they think he deserves, and an independent arbitrator decides which one he receives after hearing arguments from both sides.

TheWarmWind 08-02-2017 01:07 PM

To add on to what phantomshark said, it is possible to reach a contract before the arbitration date, but if one is not reached, then whatever the arbitrator decides will be a one year contract. The team then has the choice to pay the contract or let the player go. If let go, the player then becomes a free agent.

Arbitration is spread out over February.

The Yurpman 08-02-2017 07:46 PM

The other two posters summed it up pretty well already but I'll add my insight.

Players that can be arbitration eligible are players that have 3 years of major league playing time. Occasionally players with 2 years of major league playing time (called "Super Two's") can also be arbitration eligible. Basically, the player (and in real life his agent, obviously) and the team meet with an arbitrator. The player presents his case on his worth and the team presents theirs. More and more often teams try to avoid arbitration and try to just find a deal before it comes to that point, but arbitration cases still happen.

Personally I always try to find a deal before it gets to arbitration. For example, if I think Player A is worth $2,000,000 and he thinks he's worth $3,000,000 I'll try to find a middle ground. Arbitration can get weird sometimes so I try to avoid it if possible. Hope that made sense.

Jwine34 08-04-2017 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yurpman (Post 2048926439)
The other two posters summed it up pretty well already but I'll add my insight.

Players that can be arbitration eligible are players that have 3 years of major league playing time. Occasionally players with 2 years of major league playing time (called "Super Two's") can also be arbitration eligible. Basically, the player (and in real life his agent, obviously) and the team meet with an arbitrator. The player presents his case on his worth and the team presents theirs. More and more often teams try to avoid arbitration and try to just find a deal before it comes to that point, but arbitration cases still happen.

Personally I always try to find a deal before it gets to arbitration. For example, if I think Player A is worth $2,000,000 and he thinks he's worth $3,000,000 I'll try to find a middle ground. Arbitration can get weird sometimes so I try to avoid it if possible. Hope that made sense.

I had a situation tonight where I offered Manny Machado 10mil in arbitration. In February, it said he "won his case and would be paid 9.4 mil". Made zero sense...

tabarnes19_SDS 08-04-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwine34 (Post 2048928570)
I had a situation tonight where I offered Manny Machado 10mil in arbitration. In February, it said he "won his case and would be paid 9.4 mil". Made zero sense...

I sent that issue to sds couple years ago. I think it's a way the system "cheats" to keep their budget.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Yurpman 08-04-2017 03:09 PM

Exactly why I said in my post, "Arbitration gets weird sometimes." Especially in a video game.

Fuimus Troes 08-06-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarmWind (Post 2048925832)
To add on to what phantomshark said, it is possible to reach a contract before the arbitration date, but if one is not reached, then whatever the arbitrator decides will be a one year contract. The team then has the choice to pay the contract or let the player go. If let go, the player then becomes a free agent.

Arbitration is spread out over February.

A couple clarifications -- "whatever the arbitrator decides" MUST be one of the two salaries presented. There's no splitting the difference, I suppose so that neither side presents unrealistic numbers .

In the game (not sure about real life) you cannot pass on signing once arbitration has been decided. The winning salary is "announced" and the player is "signed."