Home

What is arbitration?

This is a discussion on What is arbitration? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
Rookie

Boling4Humor's Arena

OVR: 3
What is arbitration?

In franchise I was scrolling through my team's budget and I noticed for many of my player's salary for next year it says ARB. What is arbitration and how does that affect my budget and the player? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: What is arbitration?

When a player goes into arbitration, basically the player submits the salary he thinks he deserves, the team submits the salary they think he deserves, and an independent arbitrator decides which one he receives after hearing arguments from both sides.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

To add on to what phantomshark said, it is possible to reach a contract before the arbitration date, but if one is not reached, then whatever the arbitrator decides will be a one year contract. The team then has the choice to pay the contract or let the player go. If let go, the player then becomes a free agent.

Arbitration is spread out over February.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
Rookie

The Yurpman's Arena

OVR: 6

The other two posters summed it up pretty well already but I'll add my insight.

Players that can be arbitration eligible are players that have 3 years of major league playing time. Occasionally players with 2 years of major league playing time (called "Super Two's") can also be arbitration eligible. Basically, the player (and in real life his agent, obviously) and the team meet with an arbitrator. The player presents his case on his worth and the team presents theirs. More and more often teams try to avoid arbitration and try to just find a deal before it comes to that point, but arbitration cases still happen.

Personally I always try to find a deal before it gets to arbitration. For example, if I think Player A is worth $2,000,000 and he thinks he's worth $3,000,000 I'll try to find a middle ground. Arbitration can get weird sometimes so I try to avoid it if possible. Hope that made sense.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yurpman
The other two posters summed it up pretty well already but I'll add my insight.

Players that can be arbitration eligible are players that have 3 years of major league playing time. Occasionally players with 2 years of major league playing time (called "Super Two's") can also be arbitration eligible. Basically, the player (and in real life his agent, obviously) and the team meet with an arbitrator. The player presents his case on his worth and the team presents theirs. More and more often teams try to avoid arbitration and try to just find a deal before it comes to that point, but arbitration cases still happen.

Personally I always try to find a deal before it gets to arbitration. For example, if I think Player A is worth $2,000,000 and he thinks he's worth $3,000,000 I'll try to find a middle ground. Arbitration can get weird sometimes so I try to avoid it if possible. Hope that made sense.
I had a situation tonight where I offered Manny Machado 10mil in arbitration. In February, it said he "won his case and would be paid 9.4 mil". Made zero sense...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #6
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwine34
I had a situation tonight where I offered Manny Machado 10mil in arbitration. In February, it said he "won his case and would be paid 9.4 mil". Made zero sense...
I sent that issue to sds couple years ago. I think it's a way the system "cheats" to keep their budget.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Rookie

The Yurpman's Arena

OVR: 6

Exactly why I said in my post, "Arbitration gets weird sometimes." Especially in a video game.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
To add on to what phantomshark said, it is possible to reach a contract before the arbitration date, but if one is not reached, then whatever the arbitrator decides will be a one year contract. The team then has the choice to pay the contract or let the player go. If let go, the player then becomes a free agent.

Arbitration is spread out over February.
A couple clarifications -- "whatever the arbitrator decides" MUST be one of the two salaries presented. There's no splitting the difference, I suppose so that neither side presents unrealistic numbers .

In the game (not sure about real life) you cannot pass on signing once arbitration has been decided. The winning salary is "announced" and the player is "signed."

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »