Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=915815)

fileman3 09-14-2017 01:42 PM

NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

Use for the sticky

Really interested in hearing you guys impressions of the game, im picking mine up later!

sirio994 09-14-2017 03:04 PM

Re: NBA 2k18 Impressions Thread

Finally, i was waiting for this thread. There was so much confusion in the forum. Got the game early today, beeing in europe has its own advantages.

Played the first full game 12min/HOF Celtics@Warriors

I didn't play the prelude this year and i din't follow the news like i used to (so i could say many things you alrrady knew).

The game is FLUID in every aspect. The game pace seems ok for the first time ever (the AI is no longer in "get thaht rebound and run as hard as you can).

Defense feels amazing (responsive and intuitive). On and off the ball: i had just one triple from Horford that i din't like. That occasion was the only one with a big man left open at the 3pt line at the beginning of the possession.

On offense i love the shooting perceages. This is the BEST balanced 2k out of the box. I was hoping that they would buiild upon last year's tuning and they did. I rembember working in a lot of threds to help mike adjusting shooting percentages.

I'm not aa big fan of the new meter. It's harder to see, probably too small. From what i've seen shooting meter no longer exists for layups (bad news). The only good thing js that free throws are less automatic but i have to nderstand if it's a meter thing.

The game is perfect out of the box, don't expect a revolution from last year (the real revolution is only on defense).

Playcalling messages are not working when on "all schemes"
(bug?)

rwntrl 09-14-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirio994 (Post 2049010321)
Finally, i was waiting for this thread. There was so much confusion in the forum. Got the game early today, beeing in europe has its own advantages.

Played the first full game 12min/HOF Celtics@Warriors

I didn't play the prelude this year and i din't follow the news like i used to (so i could say many things you alrrady knew).

The game is FLUID in every aspect. The game pace seems ok for the first time ever (the AI is no longer in "get thaht rebound and run as hard as you can).

Defense feels amazing (responsive and intuitive). On and off the ball: i had just one triple from Horford that i din't like. That occasion was the only one with a big man left open at the 3pt line at the beginning of the possession.

On offense i love the shooting perceages. This is the BEST balanced 2k out of the box. I was hoping that they would buiild upon last year's tuning and they did. I rembember working in a lot of threds to help mike adjusting shooting percentages.

I'm not aa big fan of the new meter. It's harder to see, probably too small. From what i've seen shooting meter no longer exists for layups (bad news). The only good thing js that free throws are less automatic but i have to nderstand if it's a meter thing.

The game is perfect out of the box, don't expect a revolution from last year (the real revolution is only on defense).

Playcalling messages are not working when on "all schemes"
(bug?)

Any screens of end game stats?

Whomario 09-14-2017 03:14 PM

As for the meter: You can adjust the color in the options, maybe that helps to make it more visually prominent

JKSportsGamer1984 09-14-2017 03:14 PM

Gameplay is much improved overall, however I have one huge gripe.

The gameplay camera that I use is the 2K Low cam. However it does not ZOOM in the Key with Key ZOOM on. Mike Wang if you're reading this, PLEASE give us another Key Zoom option for this camera view. My suggestion would be have a Key Zoom 1 & a Key Zoom 2. I like how the camera angles upward with Key Zoom on as it's currently constructed, but it doesn't Zoom in! You could leave it like this for Key Zoom 1 but for Key Zoom 2 make it zoom in like the 2K Wire cam did! This is needed because you can't really see what's going on down low when in the key. Everything looks small & far away with how it is now. Afterall it is called "Key Zoom" so I expect the camera to ZOOM in with it on.

I loved the 2K Wire cam last year because of how close the camera zoomed in with Key Zoom on. It zoomed in at a perfect ZOOM & Height. It really brought you close to the action which I loved. I play at ZOOM 8 height 2.

If you can't give us another Key Zoom option via patch, at least bring back the 2K Wire cam in a patch. Please make this happpen otherwise it'll be a huge letdown for me. Thanks in advance.

The only other issues I have is Foot Planting is still not where it needs to be. Still seeing too much sliding going on especially with players sliding into position to receive passes without moving their feet. You really notice it when inbounding the ball after a made basket & a change of possession. It happens randomly but it's a huge eyesore when it does happen. This is a legacy issue that just won't go away & it drives me nuts. It is better than last year in this area but still needs work.

Also, as mentioned in the Prelude thread, I'm noticing more body clipping this year. It's not outrageous but when it happens it's a huge eyesore. You'll notice it when players are driving past defenders, boxing out for rebounds, going for steals, etc... I'm ok with a little fusion here & there (as most games suffer from some level of clipping) but the problem is when players body parts aren't respected. If I drive to the basket & a defender has good position to stop my progress, don't make the players body clip through the defenders body to complete the animation. Animations need to be interruptible at all times. Player Physics & collision detection needs to supersede animations.

Ball tangibility is still hit or miss. This ties in to what I just mentioned about animations being interruptible.

That said, I love the overall smoothness of the game this year. 2K just needs to work on those legacy issues with foot planting & collision detection.

Player models are largely improved after last year's debacle with the noodle arm players. However there are some that could be better. Players with ripped muscle definition (Westbrook, Kawhi, Iggy, Serge Ibaka, etc..) need to be reflected in the game. Overall players are still lacking muscle definition detail but an improvement none the less.

I love the presentation this year. 2K has always been top notch in this department. Thank God they got rid of having the same assistant coach for EVERY team running the huddles during timeouts! That was such an immersion killer lol. The Blimp cam is a nice touch. Not really feeling the beach ball or mini parachute bouncing around in the crowd during gameplay. It's kind of a distraction but I can live with it. Great looking game for the most part although I did notice a few graphical glitches (cheerleaders popping in & out of the screen, players walking through each other during cut scenes, etc..) I'm also getting some choppy frame rate at times, some arenas worse than others (I'm on PS4 Pro playing on the 2K Low cam). Hopefully this can be cleaned up in a patch

*Will Update Impressions after more time with the game*

bigmike0077 09-14-2017 03:20 PM

can anyone give a MyGm/MyLeague breakdown

sirio994 09-14-2017 03:21 PM

I set the meter to white for that game. Other things: speed boost is gone (even though you can still force your way in with players like Steph, but in a realistic way). Post defense by the AI is solid right now (a simple pump fake is not enough this year).

The game ended 98-88, shooting at the half was something like 41-34.

Fouls ratio seems the same to me compared to ladt year. Off balls fouls are there but nothing special. Saw a colple of illegal screens. It's still just one game to judge.

3ShowTime2 09-14-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirio994 (Post 2049010321)
Got the game early today, beeing in europe has its own advantages.

Yes it has...;)

I agree with everything...played a mix of Lakers vs. Bulls and Warriors vs. Cavs, what I liked most so far:

- Responsiveness, on offense and defense. Its like 2k17 was at release day, loving it.
- Gameflow and motion in general, it feels great.
- AI, Lebron put up some really cool moves in the post and got me a few times
- Menus and UI
- The game loading times seem to be faster

What I didnt like:
- Some animations dont seem to be fleshed out, some look a bit choppy and notchy
- CPU still overreacting and overhelping on drives

Havent had the time to take a deeper look into ACE (saw someone here reporting that it still doesnt work) but overall, im loving it, and without anticipating too much I think well have a very good 2k season ahead of us.