Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   How hard can it be? (/forums/showthread.php?t=949837)

pokerlife 04-03-2019 02:21 AM

How hard can it be?

Ok so im loving the game and the new crowd atmosphere but.........

Top of the ninth and im losing 7 to 1 and i strike out the first batter and the home crowd goes nuts and my pitcher does a fist pump...

I mean it totally takes you out of the moment. Cant they simply program the crowd to be quiet and less enthusiastic when one team is getting spanked this bad? If the score difference is 5 runs or more have one setting for atmosphere and if its 3 to 4 run difference they have another and so forth,..

It just seems like it shouldnt be that hard to program no? Or do you think they just dont care or are lazy?

coach422001 04-03-2019 09:36 AM

Re: How hard can it be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerlife (Post 2049739777)
Ok so im loving the game and the new crowd atmosphere but.........

Top of the ninth and im losing 7 to 1 and i strike out the first batter and the home crowd goes nuts and my pitcher does a fist pump...

I mean it totally takes you out of the moment. Cant they simply program the crowd to be quiet and less enthusiastic when one team is getting spanked this bad? If the score difference is 5 runs or more have one setting for atmosphere and if its 3 to 4 run difference they have another and so forth,..

It just seems like it shouldnt be that hard to program no? Or do you think they just dont care or are lazy?

I'm sorry but I find it funny in all these sports boards (not just the show, and not just your message here) that folks seem to all think the choices are that it isn't hard to program something, so if it isn't there it must be they don't care or it must be that they are lazy. The choice is never: in order to program atmosphere like this we can not separate by run deficit without re-writing the whole code (I know that's drastic but you know what I'm getting at).

In Madden for years there has been an issue where with a 9 mph wind punts may only go 15 yards into the wind or 90 yards with the wind. In Madden 17 they attempted to fix it and had an awkward looking low line drive 30 yard kick into the wind that was lost with subsequent patching. My understanding in 18 and 19 they have the same problem. Seems 'easy': toggle the wind off in the code period, or provide the user the option to turn the wind off either totally or per game. Hasn't been done. Are they lazy? Maybe. Do they care? Possibly not. Is it a harder fix than maybe we think. Ah, another possibility folks just don't seem to want to consider.

kennylc321 04-03-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coach422001 (Post 2049739982)
I'm sorry but I find it funny in all these sports boards (not just the show, and not just your message here) that folks seem to all think the choices are that it isn't hard to program something, so if it isn't there it must be they don't care or it must be that they are lazy. The choice is never: in order to program atmosphere like this we can not separate by run deficit without re-writing the whole code (I know that's drastic but you know what I'm getting at).

In Madden for years there has been an issue where with a 9 mph wind punts may only go 15 yards into the wind or 90 yards with the wind. In Madden 17 they attempted to fix it and had an awkward looking low line drive 30 yard kick into the wind that was lost with subsequent patching. My understanding in 18 and 19 they have the same problem. Seems 'easy': toggle the wind off in the code period, or provide the user the option to turn the wind off either totally or per game. Hasn't been done. Are they lazy? Maybe. Do they care? Possibly not. Is it a harder fix than maybe we think. Ah, another possibility folks just don't seem to want to consider.

And to be totally honest with you, what most gamers call "developers being lazy" to me, it is a matter of priority. Every time a gamer says "how hard can it be..." they do not realize that there are literally 800,000 "how hard can it be" issues to resolve. Which "how hard can it be" issue do you do first?

I look at this game and to me, they do a great job in nailing the little things. Yeah... I could create a thread asking "how hard can it be" to have a fielder's hat fly off when chasing down a fly ball or "how hard can it be" to show the ball boy field a foul ball down the line (or even better... occasionally field a fair ball, like we see in real life every now and then)

Seriously...

Syce 04-03-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennylc321 (Post 2049740106)
And to be totally honest with you, what most gamers call "developers being lazy" to me, it is a matter of priority. Every time a gamer says "how hard can it be..." they do not realize that there are literally 800,000 "how hard can it be" issues to resolve. Which "how hard can it be" issue do you do first?

I look at this game and to me, they do a great job in nailing the little things. Yeah... I could create a thread asking "how hard can it be" to have a fielder's hat fly off when chasing down a fly ball or "how hard can it be" to show the ball boy field a foul ball down the line (or even better... occasionally field a fair ball, like we see in real life every now and then)

Seriously...

too add to that, the coding is very very complex. and you may not know it, but Fixing one thing MAY break something else that may/may not even be related to the issue that was fixed.

Therebelyell626 04-03-2019 11:40 AM

That's what she said....

Caulfield 04-03-2019 05:42 PM

when it happens to me I pretend my fanbase are morons & my pitcher is a jackass, thus maintaining the illusion & retaining the moment.

but srsly, I know SDs isnt lazy & I have no idea how difficult it is to code. I just say it is what it is, serenity now, & move on to the next batter.

oldtimey 04-03-2019 08:34 PM

Game imitates life. I thought that Bryce Harper, his teammates and the Phillies fans visiting acted like a bunch of jackasses during his return to DC, particularly after his home run that made the score 8-2 in his last at bat. The fact that the game was well in hand did not dampen their celebration. It's baseball in today's world.

ML 04-03-2019 09:41 PM

I don’t disagree with the OP on how the game SHOULD be. Ideally a lot of things could be different.

I also know that fixing this one thing may break another, so if that is the case, I’m ok with the current status of the game. It’s a big give and take system with sports games and how far they are able to push the envelope when it comes to realism.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports