Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal (/forums/showthread.php?t=960994)

ChaseB 11-06-2019 12:00 PM

Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal

As a kid growing up in the 1980s, video games were a big part of my...

Written By: Jim Harris

Click here to view the article.

bacon96 11-06-2019 04:31 PM

Re: Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal

Love it!

When I was younger, I played games with my uncle and step dad and I've grown up to share a similar role with my younger brother and cousins. Can't wait to play around with my kids and nephews when they come along.

ToughJuice 11-06-2019 05:45 PM

Good stuff

poulka 11-06-2019 06:49 PM

Yeah really good stuff my best friend and had some truly epic games on nba while we were in high school. *Live 98 through live 2001. *Went to college and met more friends we set up a dynasty with about 6 or 7 of us split with about two people in all the major conferences. *Recruitment battles were sometimes better than the games. *Then at dinner time in cafe we brag on games played earlier or preview upcoming coming after dinner between players. *Last but least bragging rights on who *got that beast recruit. *Man *those were awesome times.

LoadStar81 11-06-2019 10:30 PM

For those who've seen "Field of Dreams":* somehow, I don't think "Hey, Dad?* You wanna play some NBA Jam?" is ever really going to replace "Hey, Dad?* You wanna have a catch?"* ;p* But, leaving that tiny bit of snark aside...
I do have to agree with the basic premise.* Too many 'rents these days seem to think the word "babysitter" is spelled M-A-R-I-O.*
And, fair enough, there are parts of the country where kids can't easily play outside.* Whether it's because too many lawyers took the fun out of the local playground, or because some busybody thinks it's "child endangerment" to let kids walk unaccompanied to whatever passes for said playground these days, I can kind of understand the bunker mentality.
Still...that's not the only way to bond indoors.* There are still plenty of ways for families to play together, which don't need to involve microchips.*
I do get it, though, really:* video games are now a generational thing, which they previously weren't.* And that can be a good thing...provided that it's not the only way to play.
Just my $0.02.

pslieber 11-07-2019 07:41 AM

Excellent post. Anyone who doesn't play video games assumes they're addictive or bust. Let alone have no cognitive/social value. But sticking kids in front of iPads for hours at a time, unsupervised?! Any time your kid wants to play with you is a gift.

Related, the older I get, the more I bond with individuals my age who still play. Who then play with their kids. Thus, the reverse is happening: games are bringing parents and their children together, not apart. The author is correct: this generation is used to games, and it's a good thing.

kennylc321 11-07-2019 09:47 AM

In the late 80s and early 90s, my brother and I had many fights over these games. One argued the game 'cheats' the other argued it was all about skill. The biggest culprit of the 'cheating game' was Double Dribble... the basketball game where baskets on one court was always a give me while the other end was nearly impossible... even on those lame dunks.

Then of course, Tecmo Bowl came and not only was it my brother and I but a bunch of our neighborhood friends as well. What I remember most about those days is that we didn't have twitter or whatever... if you were about to fight Mike Tyson in Punch Out, you better have a witness otherwise you beating him never happened.

Then when I went to college... man video games united the entire floor. In our madden league, when it was your turn to play, you had 6 hours to play or your game was skipped. We didn't want to hear any nonsense about studying, midterms, papers, or any other garbage!! haha

Ahh... those were the days and thanks for writing this blog.

Hammerhunker 11-09-2019 08:42 AM

I too can throw my hand up as an 80's kid that engaged in the digital battles with family and friends, but for every second of Atari/Nintendo/Sega we spent twice that much playing the real thing in the backyard or at the park.* So sadly, I fear that the "...you want to have a catch?" is becoming obsolete.*