Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   MyLeague Random Events (/forums/showthread.php?t=964675)

TheDominator273 02-10-2020 10:11 PM

MyLeague Random Events

I am putting together a spreadsheet that entails providing random events to apply in your MyLeague. I want to have tons of potential events that can happen so I would like your help in coming up with storyline events you would like to see.

Once there is a good base to draw from I will publish the spreadsheet for all to use, but here is a sneak peek of how it looks so far.

and the events I have so far

Looking forward to see what the great OS community has for ideas!

MyLeague Random Events Spreadsheet v3.1

marshdaddy 02-13-2020 06:29 AM

Re: MyLeague Random Events

Hey man, this is a really cool idea, I'm surprised didn't hit you up on it. Have you completed this? I'd love to implement this in my MyLeague if you were able to finalize something.

TheDominator273 02-13-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshdaddy (Post 2050025601)
Hey man, this is a really cool idea, I'm surprised didn't hit you up on it. Have you completed this? I'd love to implement this in my MyLeague if you were able to finalize something.

I do have a working version but I think it needs more variety added before it becomes truly great.

I used it last night in my MyLeague and got some great storylines including

- Major surgery for Giannis, coming off winning the title
- PED suspensions for Lauri Markkanen and Taurean Prince
- Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown both improved their free throws

I'll post the Google sheets link later along with a tutorial on how to use the sheet.

TheDominator273 02-13-2020 02:38 PM

Tutorial

1. Open link to the MyLeague Random Events Google Sheet found in the OP

2. Select File, Make a Copy to save a copy of the sheet to your Google Drive. This will make the sheet editable for you.

3. Once you have saved your own copy you will be able to run the sheet. To generate your first story simply click the green "RUN" button. You will have to enable macros in order for the button to work but you will receive a prompt once you hit the button.

4. After enabling macros and running the sheet for the first time you will see a story show up that will contain the team involved, Player ID, story, and the result of the story.

5. To save this story so you can run the sheet to generate another new story hit the blue "ARCHIVE" button. This will copy the story to the lower portion of the screen.

6. Click the green "RUN" button to run as many additional storylines as you wish, hitting the blue "ARCHIVE" button to save them in between running the sheet for new storylines. Run as many or as few as you wish, for this example I have run and saved 10 storylines.

7. Once you have generated and saved your storylines, its time to find out the players involved. To do so go to the roster of the top story, in this case it's the Blazers. Then sort the roster alphabetically by hitting X on Xbox or Square on PS4 while in the column of player names. Then count down the number of spots the randomizer shows, skipping any 2 way players. In this example you would count down 3 spots and end up with the player effected being Zach Collins (Carmelo Anthony is player 1, Trevor Ariza player 2, Moses Brown is a 2 way player so gets skipped).

8. Type in the name of the player effected and the year the storyline was run into the corresponding columns and continue to do so for all of the generated storylines.

9. For any storylines that require you to run the sheet to determine the player ID for a second player (so far only the Me or Him storyline) simply hit RUN after generating all of your storylines and take ONLY the player ID from the new stories generated. In this case I returned player IDs of 2 for the Blazers/Zach Collins storyline, and 9 for the Raptors/Pascal Siakam storyline. Those IDs correspond to Trevor Ariza and Kyle Lowry respectively.

10. Do the appropriate edits for the players involved in-game and enjoy a more interesting league landscape!

Advanced Tutorial

Spoiler

marshdaddy 02-13-2020 10:15 PM

Holy hell this is really in-depth. I'm going out of town but will be back on Sunday, for sure going to test this out. Thanks for all the work and the tutorial, this is honestly exactly what I've been needing the last few editions just because the game does get so stale.

Thanks brother. I'll report on some results that I get and any impact they might have.

TheDominator273 02-13-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshdaddy (Post 2050026286)
Holy hell this is really in-depth. I'm going out of town but will be back on Sunday, for sure going to test this out. Thanks for all the work and the tutorial, this is honestly exactly what I've been needing the last few editions just because the game does get so stale.

Thanks brother. I'll report on some results that I get and any impact they might have.

Looking forward to hearing how its impacted your franchise! Any ideas you have for additional stories to add let me know and I'll add them to the sheet available for download. The more diverse the stories in the sheet the wider variety it can create for your franchises which means more engaging franchises because you have immersion in your league.

marshdaddy 02-14-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDominator273 (Post 2050026307)
Looking forward to hearing how its impacted your franchise! Any ideas you have for additional stories to add let me know and I'll add them to the sheet available for download. The more diverse the stories in the sheet the wider variety it can create for your franchises which means more engaging franchises because you have immersion in your league.

I haven’t been able to put them into the game, but I did add some new events and results, and edited some existing ones. For all the stat improvements, I changed the stat increase to a range (i.e. 5-10 for potential) and then the number is decided by a random number generator between those two numbers. Might make it more fluid.

As far as adds, to accompany your surprise breakouts, I made surprise declines. The declines aren’t as high as the increases, I made it 3-5, but that could obviously be adjusted. I didn’t want to kill players but it might be worth it.

To accompany your untapped potential, I made a Bust option which is just the inverse so lose 5-10 potential.

I liked the Player Demands Trade and Me or Him, so I added a few. The first is Help Wanted, which operates similar to Me or Him only he asks for a specific player to join him. You had Me or Him do one run again, this one does three to give you some options. Also, this can apply to upcoming or current free agents, so find some cap space if it’s the offseason.

I also added a Player Won’t Re-Sign, which operates like trade demand only the team doesn’t have to trade him. They know he won’t come back so they may choose to go all in, your call. Consider it the more team-friendly option and less polarizing. PG in Indiana style and not Anthony Davis in NO.

Next up, similar to Help Wanted, is Going All In. This one the player isn’t asking for someone specifically, but only that they go out to improve the roster, think LeBron in Cleveland Part II or Houston currently. Teams will be more aggressive in trading future assets to win right now, future success be damned.

Lastly we have Destination Wedding (I got creative with naming these obviously). This situation has the player demand a trade to a specific place, which will result in the trading-away team getting less value for what they are trading away. Like Help Wanted, you can run it three times to get a list of places he will play, a la AD with LA, NYK and MIL.

If you come up with any others, let me know and I’ll add them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

TheDominator273 02-14-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshdaddy (Post 2050026843)
I haven’t been able to put them into the game, but I did add some new events and results, and edited some existing ones. For all the stat improvements, I changed the stat increase to a range (i.e. 5-10 for potential) and then the number is decided by a random number generator between those two numbers. Might make it more fluid.

As far as adds, to accompany your surprise breakouts, I made surprise declines. The declines aren’t as high as the increases, I made it 3-5, but that could obviously be adjusted. I didn’t want to kill players but it might be worth it.

To accompany your untapped potential, I made a Bust option which is just the inverse so lose 5-10 potential.

I liked the Player Demands Trade and Me or Him, so I added a few. The first is Help Wanted, which operates similar to Me or Him only he asks for a specific player to join him. You had Me or Him do one run again, this one does three to give you some options. Also, this can apply to upcoming or current free agents, so find some cap space if it’s the offseason.

I also added a Player Won’t Re-Sign, which operates like trade demand only the team doesn’t have to trade him. They know he won’t come back so they may choose to go all in, your call. Consider it the more team-friendly option and less polarizing. PG in Indiana style and not Anthony Davis in NO.

Next up, similar to Help Wanted, is Going All In. This one the player isn’t asking for someone specifically, but only that they go out to improve the roster, think LeBron in Cleveland Part II or Houston currently. Teams will be more aggressive in trading future assets to win right now, future success be damned.

Lastly we have Destination Wedding (I got creative with naming these obviously). This situation has the player demand a trade to a specific place, which will result in the trading-away team getting less value for what they are trading away. Like Help Wanted, you can run it three times to get a list of places he will play, a la AD with LA, NYK and MIL.

If you come up with any others, let me know and I’ll add them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Those are some great adds! I'll get them added to the base sheet, and get something set up to generate the number within a range for things. That is a great call to make things even more dynamic. What I think I'll do is have the range listed in the result, then have another macro to run a random number between two cells that will be editable so you can input the ranges you get in your event result.