Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   CPU Bullpen Management (/forums/showthread.php?t=967643)

NJ2NC 04-05-2020 10:51 PM

CPU Bullpen Management

The CPU is terrible at managing the relievers. Setup guys are seldom used unless the their team is leading and long relievers are being used late in tied games. Is there a workaround to get semi realistic results?

Ace2734 04-05-2020 11:13 PM

Re: CPU Bullpen Management

Unfortunately no. I end up putting in relievers for the opposing team. I can only face their long reliever in the 7th/8th so many times before getting frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knich 04-05-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ2NC (Post 2050071866)
The CPU is terrible at managing the relievers. Setup guys are seldom used unless the their team is leading and long relievers are being used late in tied games. Is there a workaround to get semi realistic results?

I think it is improved, but there is still a lot of work to do. One workaround was posted some years ago that I think still works pretty well. I'll try to summarize.

Use only 1 SU reliever slot. Put CPU best MR in the 1st MR slot. Put 2nd best MR in 1st LR slot or 2nd MR slot. Put next best MR in 3rd and 4th slots if have that many. Put your LR in 2nd LR slot. Hope this helps.

NJ2NC 04-05-2020 11:28 PM

Thanks. I’ll give this a shot. Hopefully this won’t be an issue on PS5.

Gagnon39 04-06-2020 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ2NC (Post 2050071904)
Thanks. I’ll give this a shot. Hopefully this won’t be an issue on PS5.

Don’t hold your breath. I’m sure SDS will continue to spend 95% of their development on Diamond Dynasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

bkrich83 04-06-2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knich (Post 2050071894)
I think it is improved, but there is still a lot of work to do. One workaround was posted some years ago that I think still works pretty well. I'll try to summarize.

Use only 1 SU reliever slot. Put CPU best MR in the 1st MR slot. Put 2nd best MR in 1st LR slot or 2nd MR slot. Put next best MR in 3rd and 4th slots if have that many. Put your LR in 2nd LR slot. Hope this helps.

CPU Bullpen management has been an issue for a while now. I will say this, the above posted by knich has helped in the past. Haven't tested it MLBTS'20 yet, but my assumption it will still work.

garry1221 04-06-2020 06:06 AM

I haven't kept track as much as last year, but i've seen good results with the following.

Here's my setup
LR1: SP6 or RP w/ highest Sta.
MR1: 2nd best PC
MR2: 3rd best PC
MR3: 4th best PC
MR4: 5th best PC
SU1: Best PC
SU2: Best LHP

If my 2 most clutch are lefties, I slot the most clutch RHP in SU1, most clutch in MR1, next in SU2.

In my limited testing, I haven't seen the LRP coming in near as much as I did last year. Middle relievers haven't been left in for more than 1 inning. I've only seen good signs as far as BP logic.

TheWarmWind 04-06-2020 10:54 AM

I've done a lot of testing on this issue in the past via sliders, and I've managed to find a solution that works... mostly. There was no combination of sliders that completely solved CPU bullpen management to my satisfaction, but I was able to close the gap significantly.

My testing showed that the CPU cared way too much about maintaining the effectiveness of their bullpen, so much so that they would rather trot out someone who is tired already and protect the rest of their bullpen then try and go for the win in a close game. By raising reliever stamina, I also raised the total effective pitches in the CPU bullpen, making the CPU manager less concerned about that factor and more concerned about the situation.

I combined that change with raising the CPU manager hook, which again made the situation a larger factor. I currently play with all pitcher staminas at 7 and CPU manager hook at 6. The goal is for pitchers to start loosing effectiveness when their pitch count hits the same number as their stamina attribute, and for the most part that holds true at these settings.

It's not perfect for every game, but most games the CPU mirrors what I would do in those situations.