Home

Another Toronto team? It could happen

This is a discussion on Another Toronto team? It could happen within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Another Toronto team? It could happen

Well at least some NHL board of governors are whispering about it. I'm NOT in favor of this. Toronto fans are obnoxious and delusional as it is. Do we need to have TWICE the volume of idiocy on the radio?!

Now I wouldn't mind a team based in Hamilton though.

TSN.ca Link

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Another Toronto team? It could happen

I guess that makes sense. If the team you have is sucking just make another one.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

I know Toronto people are hockey maniacs, but can they actually support 2 hockey franchises?
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
I know Toronto people are hockey maniacs, but can they actually support 2 hockey franchises?
Yes it can, Toronto is a weird city. We won't support minor hockey but if there was a 2nd NHL team the corporate dollars will be coming out the wazoo and you'd most likely see Rogers or a huge corporate type like Balsille owning the team and making TONS of money. Since whoever would own this 2nd team would probably make an effort at winning you'll see tons of fans out there. I also think that with a 2nd NHL team you'll probably see lower ticket prices then what the Leafs offer up right now.

A 2nd NHL team is a guaranteed success in this city.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Yes it can, Toronto is a weird city. We won't support minor hockey but if there was a 2nd NHL team the corporate dollars will be coming out the wazoo and you'd most likely see Rogers or a huge corporate type like Balsille owning the team and making TONS of money. Since whoever would own this 2nd team would probably make an effort at winning you'll see tons of fans out there. I also think that with a 2nd NHL team you'll probably see lower ticket prices then what the Leafs offer up right now.

A 2nd NHL team is a guaranteed success in this city.
If the city can support it, then I'm all for it. Hockey needs healthy franchises. As long as they don't move Carolina.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

No doubt it would succeed but I would rather see the team in Hamilton or Kitchener-Waterloo. Not that the latter is that far west but I think a team in that region would get a lot of support from western Ontario and I think it would be a better rivalry due to the regional difference. I don't know a rivalry between two Toronto teams just doesn't seem to appeal to me.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

Toronto could easily support a second team, hell they could support another with Hamilton getting one, the population is that big and its Canada, where hockey succeeds anywhere. Its like pro football in Texas, you've already got two pro franchises and you could probably throw teams in San Antonia and Austin and sell out nearly every game. Basically, if the NHL wants to move towards a strong league and not potentially harm themselves long term they should look at RELOCATING struggling franchises to southern Ontario (be it Kitchner-Waterloo, Toronto, Hamilton) and either Winnipeg or a strong American contender and not make the horrible mistake of expansion, especially to yet more difficult to crack southern US markets.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I always wondered why the NHL went after markets in the south like Atlanta and Nashville when in addition to strong markets in Southern Ontario and Winnipeg the two big Pacific Northwest Cities were passed over. Seattle doesn't have an arena (Key Arena is not realistic) but I would have to imagine that a city like that would be appealing for the NHL. Also Portland only has one pro sports team, there is plenty of affluence and affinity for hockey already considering the Portland Winterhawks have been in the city forever, and they already have a perfect building in the Rose Garden.

I guess Paul Allen isn't a fan of the sport because I would think that he would have a team in either city if he wanted it. It might also be nice for the Canucks to have three games a year where they don't have to travel such a long way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »