Old 07-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #42
Flamehead
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: QB Spy 101

Quote:

Daudr said:
Quote:

Flamehead said:could be that VC has made this game so realistic that it's fooling a lot of us into thinking that it's not working because the MLB doesn't make it very obvious--which is how it should be. I'm backing up M12 on this one.

Sorry, but QB spy isn't some super secret play. After the snap if a spy is working correctly he will mirror the QB movements - THAT is his assignment. If he stays in zone coverage or whatever, he is NOT correctly spying. What VC seems to have implemented is a "leave your assignment only after the QB runs to the LOS" which is NOT a real QB spy, it's just simply normal good defense.

Well, again, if you compare the two scenarios, the MLB does indeed react differently based on that fact that he's spying. And he doesn't start automatically running towards Vick when Vick starts running left. It's like he starts drifting left when Vick goes left, but because Vick stops after his rollout to look for and pass to a receiver, the MLB just keeps drifting rather than flat out pursuing. You have to remember that on this play, Vick isn't bootlegging flat out into a run--he rolls out, stops, and looks for a receiver to pass to. AND he's 6-7 yards behind the LOS when he stops. So, because he stops running that far behind the LOS, it looks to me like the MLB (in response) is simply taking a "wait and see" approach because Vick isn't bolting for any yardage.

And while the MLB is spying the QB, I don't think he's supposed to just stand there and pick his nose waiting to see what the QB does. If the QB drops back, even if it's a rollout, and isn't making a run for any yardage, it makes sense to me that the MLB isn't going to just flat out commit himself to going after the QB--hence, the shallow drop into zone. After all, if the QB isn't running, he could still throw to someone in the MLB's neighborhood.

Look, I'm not looking to win any debates on this one. You can believe what you want. If there's anyone that wants to believe QB spy is not in this game, or is implemented incorrectly, great, knock yourself out. All I know is I see a difference, I see the MLB spying, and I pretty much saw (in these scenarios with these plays) smart football. It looks to me like (in this instance) if Vick had decided to run after a few seconds of finding no receivers open, the MLB, by virtue of drifting over to Vicks side, would have prevented him from gaining any serious yardage provided he made the tackle. In other words, keep an eye on him, but don't be clueless about the receivers coming into the area.

Anyways, this game is friggin' incredible.