Old 08-17-2004, 10:08 AM   #1355
pbtiger
Rookie

pbtiger's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris44
That's a really interesting idea. As far as my testing up to now, here are the issues I could identify:
1. The neutral pursuit setting, as far as I can determine, is in the 10-12 range. At 0, the defenders will be getting a speed penalty beyond their ratings.
2. Kickers at 0 are going to be very, very inaccurate, far worse than real life.
3. Coverage at 0 is painful to watch--the DB's act totally brain-dead. They are good enough at 8 for it to be bearable.
4. The CPU offense is too weak (I think) even with their offensive sliders maxed out. So putting them at 0 is going to reduce that even further.

The nature of these sliders makes it very, very hard to objectively determine what is 'neutral.' Kicking and pursuit can be measured, but most of the rest are subjective to some degree, except for the turnover/penalty sliders.
Thanks for the response. That makes a lot of sense. I made some tweaks last night and bumped up human coverage and pursuit to 8 and 6, respectively. I increased human blocking to 10 and catching to 2. The human running setting at 0 is almost impossible to sustain any consistency with the CPU pursuit at 10 so that slider would probably need to be bumped up. The CPU settings I have are blocking at 20, passing at 24, running at 22, coverage at 24, catching at 20, pursuit as stated above, tackling at 8, and kicking at 40. BTW great catch on the kicking. The CPU actually missed a 42 yd. fg with the slider at 40 (10 mph crosswind), so I agree the slider at 40 looks right. Right now these settings give you a close to Legend modifier of 1.70. However, I think I am making my offense too difficult to operate.

Results from a game I played last night were painful at best. I was the Skins vs. the Ravens, which I feel have a great defense regardless. Anyway, I had a 94 yd. drive to open the game and I was thinking the sliders were too easy, and well, that was it for me. I believe Boller was 25-35 (15-19 at the half) passing for 220 with 1 TD, 1 Int. Lewis had about 115 yds. on 26 carries. I, on the other hand had about 140 yds passing (13-28 1 TD, 2 Int.) and had 50 yds. rushing on 22 attempts. I lost 21-7.

I think I will make a few changes based on your testing to increase the blocking and running a little for the Human, which hopefully will improve the running game a little. Overall, I, as strange as it sounds, enjoyed the CPU moving up and down the field on sustained drives (No TD drive was less than 6 plays) while also having several 3 and outs. I feel like its close, but penalizing myself doesn't necessarily make it real.

Thanks again for all of your input. It has really helped me understand the theory behind some of these settings.
Advertisements - Register to remove