Old 06-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #242
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWood2
Yeah I think teams are realizing that unless you're presented with a Justin Upton like player, it's easier to project a more advanced college hitter than it is a player from highschool. As far as pitchers, your pitches, your command and your mechanics can already make a pretty good case for who you can become. Good way of thinking about it though; as more teams come around and delve into the college players, it leaves high school players of less risk to the "moneyballers." I was still kind of surprised by the A's draft this year though based on their last few.
Another aspect of the HS vs College argument is money. You end up having to pay HS players more money before they reach the majors in comparison to college players. Guys like Dustin Pedroia and Craig Hansen are a perfect example. Sure, you're paying them more money to start but both could be in MLB within 2 years of being drafted. Compare that to somebody like Hanley Ramirez who has been in the Sox system for almost 5 years. Other teams have started to adopt this, which I think, forced teams like the Red Sox and A's to change their approach.