Old 07-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #640
deeman11747
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
My problem with Trot this year, and maybe it's because of his injury, is he doesn't know his limitations. Using that play last night as an example: The OF was already playing back so a ball didn't get over their head. If it was Damon, he probably would have caught it because he has great range. If it was Manny, he would've known that he had no chance at it and turned around to play it off the wall. Trot is more in the Manny category where he needs to understand his limitations and stop trying to get to balls he can't.
I have never thought of Nixon as a good OF. Like you said he puts a lot of effort out... but it seems like he tries to do too much when it would be better to just cut your losses and make the play you can make.

A good OF doesn't always have to be blessed with unbelievable skills... just a good head on his shoulders to know how to make do with the tools he has.

I wish there was a little more Nixon in Sheffield sometimes... but at least when he coasts to balls in the gap to play them off the wall, he isn't diving to make the play and giving up extra bases. The key is to find a successful medium.