Old 08-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #1046
VTek33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman11747
Agreed.

In the Cust game... Yanks were in Baltimore and it was Bot 9... 2 outs and Yanks up 1. Jack Cust was on 1st I believe and someone hit a double to center. He was going to score the tying run easily but when Bernie threw it in to the cutoff something was wrong. Cust had falllen down rounding 3rd and they had him hung up between 3rd and home. So they go through the pickle but when Posada runs him back to 3rd... no ones covering home plate! Posada doesn't realize this until Cust is already half way back to home so he's going to score eaisly with no one for A-Rod to throw to... but a foot from home... just fell down again! He tried to crawl to the plate but A-Rod just tagged him on the ground before that and the Yankees won.

It was one of the craziest finishes I've ever seen and I would think the Yankees... especially a smart player like Bernie to always make an attempt because anything can happen.
Now that you went through it I do remember it vaguely, more than I did when you first mentioned it. Does sound really crazy though.

But I guess we'll never know. It would be cool for a scientist or something to do research into it and try out experiements and projections and what not.