View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
spankdatazz22
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: The merits of NFL style/level customization in APF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
This is a question I've been wondering for sometime....I will start a poll to test the results. However, one could argue that if they made a fully customizable generic game, one would be able to customize their own legends if they wanted too (signiture styles could still be included by 2K and could be chosen when customizing a player). After all if you can re-create Brett Farve, you can likely create Dan Marino as well.

Also, IMO, the legends theme seems like it will be hard to re-sell the next year. While the NFL puts out a game every year with mostly the same players, those players are progressing/digressing, changing teams, coming in and out of stardom, where as a legend stays stagnent. Unless there is a change in the way the game plays, Barry Sanders next year will be Barry Sanders this year. In the NFL game Marquez Colston this year will be a different animal than that of last year's. Plus new uni's, updated rosters, new stadiums, a few new gimmicks, etc.
Good points. I wasn't saying that the legends angle was perfect. But personally I find it to be the most logical. Again, outside of the ultra-hardcore, how many are willing to customize an entire league? There are people that don't make the effort to customize a team. At default, the game has to be compelling - it can't be everyone having separate experiences. And if they aren't able to attach assignable signature styles to actual players, you're leaving it up to every individual to guess. Is that really Ladanian Tomlinson's style or is it Reggie Bush? Maybe that's Brian Westbrook.

I'm not saying a completely generic title wouldn't work. I was just saying from my experience, people don't want to spend a lot of time customizing. One of the complaints people leveled at the game is that you can't play with a cpu-generated generic team; they'd just like to jump in and play. Well how would you be able to tell players apart if the game were only generics? Not having the licenses is a huge disadvantage. I think the concept they came up with is unique, and works on many levels. It's not perfect, but I think a strong framework is definitely in place

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS