View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 11:55 PM   #32
PeruvianPlaya954
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: United States National Team (PES 2007)

U.S. Stay Undefeated

Danny Szetela scored his first goal as the U.S. won 2-0

"U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!" was the chant of thousands of fans throughout the stadium as they realized that there team is just two to three more wins away from qualifying from the World Cup in 2010. The United States won 2-0 tonight against a Panamian team that didn't defend too well.

The attacking plays for the United States came early and often. In the opening minutes, Landon Donovan had outran, outmanuevered and outplayed the Panamian defenders. On 2 seperate occasions, Donovan ripped two shots that were magnificantly saved.

"I tried to make sure I tested them early on. I think it worked and opened up space for the rest of the guys" said the all time goal scorer for the United States. He has a valid point. Donovan running all over the pitch in the first 10 minutes, that Panama concentrated on double teaming him. This allowed for Josmer Altidore, Lee Nguyen and Clint Dempsey more space to push forward.

In the 26th minute, Landon ran up the middle of the field. He cut in front of a defender and passed a through pass to an oncoming Josmer Altidore. Altidore trapped it with his left foot and struck it with his right. The ball wad a mid range shot that curled away and reached the back of the net. Altidore has now scored in all of his World Cup Qualifying games.

"Landon (Donovan) gave me a pefect pass. He placed it perfectly ahead of me and I knew I was going to get a quality shot on goal. I would've been upset had I not made that." said the teenager. Bob Bradley even praised the play of Josmer, saying his form is excellent. "I just am more and more impressed after every game. Josmer does things that the most experienced guys don't even do. He is a different and special type of player." said Bradley.

Now, this game wasn't just all USA. The defense contained Panama to a clean sheet but it did have its few scares. Captain Carlos Bocanegra was beat on a couple of headers which could've been goals had they not been well wide. Bocanegra was visibly upset during the aerial battles as he complained of fouls and shoves.

The U.S. was solid defending on the ground though. Jimmy Conrad may be pushing Jay DeMerit for the center defender backup spot. Heck, if Conrad continues to play like he did tonight, he may be pushing Oguchi Onyewu for his starting job. Conrad dominated in the air, and didn't let a defender pass him. He also added to the attacking side by putting some quality passes to the flanks.

In the second half, the United States fell back a little on its attacking play. Panama grabbed a little more of the possession. But the United States never looked to let the lead go. After making some substitutions, the United States doubled their lead. In the 77th minute Danny Szetela passed a ball to Sal Zizzo who had his back towards the goa. He turned and passed it back to Szetela who hit a high blast with his left foot.

The U-20 Duo had teamed up for the second goal and the U.S. had put the nail in the coffin. The young guys continue to impress and Bob Bradley is getting a look at the future of U.S. Soccer. "With the way they are playing, they'll continue to be included in the mix" said Bob Bradley in the post game press conference. Well the next challenge for the young guns if they do get called back up will be playing in the hostile environment of Costa Rica.

2-United States v Panama-0
USA-Josmer Altidore 26' (Landon Donovan)
USA-Danny Szetela 77' (Sal Zizzo)

GK-Tim Howard
D-Jonathan Spector
D-Jimmy Conrad
D-Carlos Bocanegra
D-Heath Pearce
M-John O'Brien
M-Ricardo Clark (Danny Szetela 60')
M-Lee Nguyen
M-Landon Donovan (Benny Feilhaber 85')
F-Josmer Altidore
F-Clint Dempsey (Sal Zizzo 65')