View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
BrianFifaFan
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: EA sees the community fighting back!!!

I think "all of the above" are factors. A lot of people (self included) are starting to more conscience of their buying decisions. Money has to go farhter than ever. And Madden has gone from a sure thing to a more "wait and see" kinda buying decision. And that doesn't bode well for the Madden/NCAA teams as some big investor money was laid out for the NCAA/NFL exclusive licenses.

The sad thing is that Madden isn't the only horse in the EA stable. In a way, they carry a burden that is unreasonable. There is so much hype, from fans and media. That combined with the investors associating the Tiburon brands so closely with the name EA Sports itself, if Madden/NCAA don't ring the register in historic numbers there is hell to pay. Fifa was actually the largest selling single title last year. NBA Live, though crap on a stick, sells well. Also let's not forget about NHL, which will take over as the best selling hockey title.

In a way I feel for Phil, Ian and all. Heck, I even feel for David Ortiz. To be the big cheese over Madden is a high pressure job. Keep the faithful happy, yet innovate. Reclaim Madden's place at the top of the gaming food-chain. Defend the NFL exclusive deal. It's really a heavy burden. In a way, it'd probably be worlds better to have been at 2k during the run-up to the pinnacle of 2k5. No real pressure, you're the underdog. Anything you do is considered revolutionary. Only marketshare to gain. From Madden. And really lose purse-strings to foster creativity.

I am in no way excusing the mess that Madden next-gen has been. It just bears bringing up how it must be to have the Madden monkey on your back. But, it's a job any sports gaming freak would consider the holy grail. You'd work on, good or not so good, the best-selling sports game of ALL time. A game that will be considered a cornerstone of videogaming history. Cool stuff........

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove