Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Video Game Passing Needs to be Reworked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Yea, that's the same thought I had when reading the article. I sounded a lot like FPF.

I think it could work if it wasn't taken to the extreme like FPF. Let's say after the snap, the camera zoomed in about halfway. Not all the way down to FPShooter level, but a lot closer than Madden classic. What should happen is, that it should zoom in on half of the field. If your primary receiver is on the right, then the camera would zoom down and in on the right side of the field. What you would see is the field from the center over to the right sideline. This way you see you primary guy and maybe a 2nd WR or TE. If nobody is open, you could flick the right stick to the left, and now the screen would shift over to the left side of the field.

Carlos makes great points about seeing too much of the field. As a QB, I should never be able to see both CB's at the same time when they're on opposite sides of the field. He has a good idea. I think it would work great if it was toned down a little bit.
Oh, goodness no with first-person football. That would be bad. I agree that is not the solution.

But, I think you pretty much understood where I was coming from with the suggestion. As I mentioned, it would need a few tweaks here and there. I do not think it should be an extreme over the shoulder shot. It really should not even be like Splinter Cell or a similar third-person shooter. But, something close to that with a bit more zoom-out and a slightly higher angle so you can look over the line, now maybe that's where it needs to be. Of course, if you give the user the option to mess with the zoom level and camera angle then you can make sure it pleases all gamers.

Either way, as I mentioned in the article, it is not about my little idea. It is mostly about needing to upgrade the passing game. It seems to have been ignored over the years and as it is right now, it does not simulate football very well.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer