View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #30
SoxFan01605
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
After reading all the posts here, I'm quoting this one because I can answer this question. I was going to quote the post that said "This is the dumbest article I have ever read on OS." but that would have been too much fun.

First, I am Joey, the uninformed author of this article and I have no problem admitting that. The title of the article tells you, "I Don't Get It." Some of your posts were very informative and I appreciate that. Some of your posts were not so informative. lol.

I should tell you about my gaming background as that will also help you understand why I don't get sliders. I'm a sim freak. I've never been a fps or button mashing guy. For example. I pre-ordered Madden CE, went to the midnight party at my local GameCrazy and took home a 2 litre bottle of pepsi and a wee plush football. I have not taken the Madden 09 disk out of its bed once. Not one single time. I bought Madden CE for Head Coach. My comrades in the Head Coach forum know me quite well lol, and my distaste for sliders.

When I open a game, any game, I want the confidence of knowing that this is the best possible game the developers could have made. Now I realize that the "business" of gaming makes that a pipe-dream, yet I still dream.

Which leads me to ASU's question. He asked what the point of the article was. The point, actually the question I want answered is don't you feel like if there were not sliders, then the developers would be forced to make the game as realistic as possible before shipping it? That is what I worry about. That instead of putting the realism (and if I'm reading all your posts correctly THAT is why you change sliders, to make it more realistic, challenging) in our, the gamers hands, would not having sliders force the developers to make the near-perfect game?

I'm not a programmer. I don't want to have to spend the countless hours of "tweaking" sliders to make the game realistic and challenging. One of the other posts made a great point about the variances in sports games. There are too many variables in football especially, but I'm sure all sports, to even know what the "base-line" is. Then where are you? Do you have to change the sliders every time you play a different team like mentioned in another post? When does it end? Why do we have to do it in the first place?

That is what the point of the article is.

Flame on
I think you are missing the point of sliders, at least from the end user's perspective. It's about options. "Correct out of the box" is very subjective. It might be functionally correct, but either too easy or too hard for some. MLB: The Show is the best example of this. There are options to ramp up percieved pitch speed or tune it down. This compensates for differences in players individual reaction times. I may react very quickly, but someone may be a bit slower...or even faster. It's to compensate for the obvious fact that we are all different and want different things from our game. I agree with a previous poster who stated (as many have) that hitting is too easy in The Show. some feel it's just fine. Who's right? Neither...again, it's subjective. There have been calls for even more (or at least more sensative) sliders to compensate. I am fine with this because the hitting engine is functionally sound, it just needs tweaking, IMO. This way, I get what I want and those who think it's fine get wehat they want. Sliders, when incorporated effectively and not used as a crutch (as, admittedly, some games have done) are a complete win-win. You aren't required to use them and you certainly don't have to go by any so-called 'slider guru" to make good use of them easier. The slider forums are just another way for gamers to share what works for them in hopes it will work for others...another win-win.

Also, I think you'd get a lot more rational reaction if your article (intentional or otherwise) didn't affect the tone of superiority over and condemnation of those who effectively use sliders. You don't get it or don't want to and that's fine. The reality is that most people who vehemently demand more effective sliders are people who want to make the game more challenging and representative of the given sport...not the other way around as you imply. I don't know your intentions, but tone is a very fine balancing act when writing opinion pieces...just my opinion