View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #31
NYwRiter94
Pro

NYwRiter94's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Los Angeles Kings(NHL 09)

Los Angeles, CA-Today I had a chance to sit down with new LA Kings General Manager Andrew Dellapina to talk about the state of his new team.

LAT: Well, Coach, there's been a lot of buzz about you being relatively unknown, and even more after the huge pre-season moves you made.

AD: Well, I wanted to make an impact quickly, and I wanted to give this team a chance to win NOW, while still keeping a young team that will be dominant for years to come.

LAT: Although the moves were daring, adding stars such as Kovalchuk, Lundqvist and Gionta, a lot of fans are worried that 1) You didn't focus enough on the defense and 2) Some players might not mesh, especially that first line.

AD: Yeah, I can see where some people are worried. I'll admit that I was very offense-oriented during my trading period, but I want to see how this young, offensively-based defense works. I'm hoping for an all out-attack, but in a few of the games a lack of a bruiser has hurt us. In terms of not meshing, we'll have to see, but Kopitar and Gionta definitely have something going, and Kovalchuk has been involved with both of them on the scoreboard. Overall, that line has been extremely productive.

LAT: Also, some people think that the team is too young, shown by Anze Kopitar being the captain and two 21 year olds patrolling the blue line as the first D-Pair. What do you think about that?

AD: Well, I put a lot of pressure on Anze, but he's been playing very well. He has three goals in four games, and all three have been assisted by Johnson. We really built the team around those two, as they are the core, top-end players that stayed. I feel that we've promoted an all-out atmosphere that goes well with young, energized players and this bunch is sure to put up loads of goals if we play it right. Of course, we have a few older players, most notably Michal Handzus. He already has a goal, and should put up big numbers alongside Jason and Alex.

LAT: Alright Coach, here it is: How far do you think you'll go this season?

AD: Well obviously, it's too early to tell, but our goal is definitely the playoffs, and I think we can do it. Between our talented offense and our amazing goaltender, I think we could go far.

LAT: Thanks Coach, and everyone tune in to the next game when they hit the road to play the Colorado Avalanche.
Advertisements - Register to remove