View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #735
NumberOneRB
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

After playing a bit of it I have to say overall I'm not very impressed. VC has really dumbed down a lot of the mechanics in this game and I have to say that I actually think the pitching, hitting, and fielding mechanics in 2K8 are better.

The default 2-step pitching really has nothing to do with timing and in most cases you don't even have to perform the full motion; simply holding the stick in the position of the first motion is enough to perform the particular pitch. It appears that the meter extends the better you perform the motion and really has nothing to do with timing the first motion with the stick in order to properly fill the meter.

From a fielding perspective, it appears that there are too many instances where you are directly over the fielding icon and yet for some inexplicable reason your fielder will misplay the ball and allow it to drop right next to him. That factor alone is incredibly frustrating enough to damper the overall good fielding experience. It also appears that VC removed the extra challenge in fielding that caused the throw to be inaccurate on either side of the base depending on how precise the right stick is positioned in the direction of the base (very disappointing).

Graphics are an improvement over last year, but for the PS3 version in particular there appears to be a significant amount of jaggies (I play in 1080i). VC put a good deal of signature styles in the game, but it is very disappointing to know we will not be able to edit any of these. The commentary is phenomenal and I love the camera angles, but nothing else graphically is too far out of the ordinary.
Advertisements - Register to remove