Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #34
Trevytrev11
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: MLB 2k10 Wish List

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFox7
All of this makes it sound like you've never actually played baseball.

As a baserunner, you're not perfectly aware of the pitcher checking you out, and a GOOD pitcher makes their pickoff move while the runner has no idea the pitcher is looking at him. If the runner is totally aware of the pitcher looking at him, he should never have any trouble getting back to the base.

There's also no "being at the mercy of the game" when there is a button specifically mapped to going back to the base.

The pickoff system is not broken. It's generally the same pickoff system that's been used in every baseball game since RBI Baseball was released in 1988. With as many other problems that exist in this series, there's no reason to focus on something that's worked fine for two decades.

The only thing that's actually "broken" about it is the fact I have a 100% pick off rate on Pro when a runner takes a 3 step lead (so pretty much the standard lead for any fast runner).
Actually I played through college. I'm not saying you have to look to throw (didn't think it came off that way) just to see the runner. When you are looking at the plate, unless you have an open stretch position (which means a long time to the plate), you have to tilt your head to look at first to check the runners lead...unless you magically can see 90% to your left and have a clear view of what is going on. Again, it's not a body turn, but a head turn. Often times pitchers do throw to first without an idea of what is going on (catchers call picks all the time) but to be aware of what the runner is doing, you have to look and he will notice...to effectively control the running game, you have to be aware of the runner and to be aware of the runner you have to look at him.

And for second base, it's even more so. You do have your time picks with your SS or second basemen, but the rest of the time you still have to turn your head to make sure the runner isn't getting a walking lead so he can take third standing up. If you never look at second (or first) in real life, runners will run all day on you. Most picks at second are "daylight" picks and are accomlished while looking at the bag and the fielder breaks-glove out-to the bag. You have your timing picks as well based on looks or what not, but most picks are based on the SS darting to the bag and the pitcher reacting.

Again, I'm not saying you have to look to throw a pick...you can pick as much as you want, but you have to look to know if you will "need" to pick or (not need to). I agree most successful picks aren't done while looking (looks are typically used to set up runners), but they are done in the midst of looking (look - pause- pick).

My point is that as a pitcher in real ife, the runners know when you are aware of them. You have to visually look at them to know if their lead is too big and to try and control them. In video games, this is never done. You can have a runner with a huge lead on second and know he is 12 feet off the bag without ever looking at him. In real life, you would peak back and he would likely shorten up. In a video game this doesn't happen.