Home

MLB 2k10 Wish List

This is a discussion on MLB 2k10 Wish List within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #33
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB 2k10 Wish List

I hate to keep going back to this, but every time I play (or sim) another game, I realize how little the people at VC actually know about baseball.

FYI: A starting pitcher DOES NOT get a W if they don't pitch AT LEAST 5 innings. It doesn't matter what the score is when they leave the game.

Quote:
10.17 Winning And Losing Pitcher
(a) The official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher that pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, unless
(1) such pitcher is a starting pitcher and Rule 10.17(b) applies; or

(2) Rule 10.17(c) applies.
Rule 10.17(a) Comment: Whenever the score is tied, the game becomes a new contest insofar as the winning pitcher is concerned. Once the opposing team assumes the lead, all pitchers who have pitched up to that point and have been replaced are excluded from being credited with the victory. If the pitcher against whose pitching the opposing team gained the lead continues to pitch until his team regains the lead, which it holds to the finish of the game, that pitcher shall be the winning pitcher.
(b) If the pitcher whose team assumes a lead while such pitcher is in the game, or during the inning on offense in which such pitcher is removed from the game, and does not relinquish such lead, is a starting pitcher who has not completed
(1) five innings of a game that lasts six or more innings on defense, or
(2) four innings of a game that lasts five innings on defense, then the official scorer shall credit as the winning pitcher the relief pitcher,
if there is only one relief pitcher, or the relief pitcher who, in the official scorer’s judgment was the most effective, if there is more than one relief pitcher.
Rule 10.17(b) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.17(b) that a relief pitcher pitch at least one complete inning or pitch when a crucial out is made, within the context of the game (including the score), in order to be credited as the winning pitcher. If the first relief pitcher pitches effectively, the official scorer should not presumptively credit that pitcher with the win, because the rule requires that the win be credited to the pitcher who was the most effective, and a subsequent relief pitcher may have been most effective. The official scorer, in determining which relief pitcher was the most effective, should consider the number of runs, earned runs and base runners given up by each relief pitcher and the context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher’s appearance. If two or more relief pitchers were similarly effective, the official scorer should give the presumption to the earlier pitcher as the winning pitcher.
Sure, it might be a bit much to ask to have the most cryptic rules covered, but this is not a cryptic rule. This is a rule known to any and all true fans of the game.

Breaking down who was "most effective" might be a bit much to ask, but even just crediting the first reliever (which is what usually happens anyway) would be sufficient.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #34
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFox7
All of this makes it sound like you've never actually played baseball.

As a baserunner, you're not perfectly aware of the pitcher checking you out, and a GOOD pitcher makes their pickoff move while the runner has no idea the pitcher is looking at him. If the runner is totally aware of the pitcher looking at him, he should never have any trouble getting back to the base.

There's also no "being at the mercy of the game" when there is a button specifically mapped to going back to the base.

The pickoff system is not broken. It's generally the same pickoff system that's been used in every baseball game since RBI Baseball was released in 1988. With as many other problems that exist in this series, there's no reason to focus on something that's worked fine for two decades.

The only thing that's actually "broken" about it is the fact I have a 100% pick off rate on Pro when a runner takes a 3 step lead (so pretty much the standard lead for any fast runner).
Actually I played through college. I'm not saying you have to look to throw (didn't think it came off that way) just to see the runner. When you are looking at the plate, unless you have an open stretch position (which means a long time to the plate), you have to tilt your head to look at first to check the runners lead...unless you magically can see 90% to your left and have a clear view of what is going on. Again, it's not a body turn, but a head turn. Often times pitchers do throw to first without an idea of what is going on (catchers call picks all the time) but to be aware of what the runner is doing, you have to look and he will notice...to effectively control the running game, you have to be aware of the runner and to be aware of the runner you have to look at him.

And for second base, it's even more so. You do have your time picks with your SS or second basemen, but the rest of the time you still have to turn your head to make sure the runner isn't getting a walking lead so he can take third standing up. If you never look at second (or first) in real life, runners will run all day on you. Most picks at second are "daylight" picks and are accomlished while looking at the bag and the fielder breaks-glove out-to the bag. You have your timing picks as well based on looks or what not, but most picks are based on the SS darting to the bag and the pitcher reacting.

Again, I'm not saying you have to look to throw a pick...you can pick as much as you want, but you have to look to know if you will "need" to pick or (not need to). I agree most successful picks aren't done while looking (looks are typically used to set up runners), but they are done in the midst of looking (look - pause- pick).

My point is that as a pitcher in real ife, the runners know when you are aware of them. You have to visually look at them to know if their lead is too big and to try and control them. In video games, this is never done. You can have a runner with a huge lead on second and know he is 12 feet off the bag without ever looking at him. In real life, you would peak back and he would likely shorten up. In a video game this doesn't happen.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #35
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFox7
I hate to keep going back to this, but every time I play (or sim) another game, I realize how little the people at VC actually know about baseball.

FYI: A starting pitcher DOES NOT get a W if they don't pitch AT LEAST 5 innings. It doesn't matter what the score is when they leave the game.

Sure, it might be a bit much to ask to have the most cryptic rules covered, but this is not a cryptic rule. This is a rule known to any and all true fans of the game.

Breaking down who was "most effective" might be a bit much to ask, but even just crediting the first reliever (which is what usually happens anyway) would be sufficient.
Just like a few years ago when they screwed the ERA calc and Walks were not counted as earned runs.

As you said there are a some nuances to baseball scoring, but the obvious errors are unacceptable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #36
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrontline
My ONE wish...

2K loses its exclusive contract with MLB, and EA begins to resurrect it's "MVP" series.

It won't happen, therefore that is why it is a wish list.

2K7, 2K8, 2K9.

Strike one, strike two, strike three.

2K will never get another cent of my hard earned money. I'm just simply done getting burned by them.
EA almost bought out Take 2 a few months ago. Maybe after their deal with Rockstar expires there will be hope of another EA bid, except a successful one this time. We can always hope.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #37
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm going to keep this short and sweet:

My JV football coach in High School used to tell our team that "if we take care of the little things, the big things will take care of themselves".

Now, I'm not talking about the stuff you'd find in the "little things thread" (excuse the pun in that case)...just give us a great-playing, low-glitch, fully-featured and appealing game next year by taking care of the nagging issues that have always plagued 2K Baseball and I'll be satisfied.

Is that so much to ask, Visual Concepts?

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 03-07-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #38
Pro

bwburke94's Arena

OVR: 4

If EA does take over, will they even make it for PC?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 0

First, if EA ever buys out TKI, they will get an exclusive license that will kill The Show. EA has no desire to compete if they don't have to. MVP 05 was good because they had to compete. 2K9 improved this year, because they have to compete.

Second, a feature I would like to see added to the game is the ability to either email my box scores to myself, are have them sent to our 2K page. When I reference things that have happened in my games, I'd like to be able to look over the box scores, but not just for league games. I'd like to see the box scores for my offline games, exhibitio and franchise, and al of my online games.

It's probably too much too expect 2K to keep a database of every game being played that a user might upload, but surely we could get the game to generate aqn email to us.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #40
Banned

RedSoxFox7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
First, if EA ever buys out TKI, they will get an exclusive license that will kill The Show. EA has no desire to compete if they don't have to. MVP 05 was good because they had to compete. 2K9 improved this year, because they have to compete.

Second, a feature I would like to see added to the game is the ability to either email my box scores to myself, are have them sent to our 2K page. When I reference things that have happened in my games, I'd like to be able to look over the box scores, but not just for league games. I'd like to see the box scores for my offline games, exhibitio and franchise, and al of my online games.

It's probably too much too expect 2K to keep a database of every game being played that a user might upload, but surely we could get the game to generate aqn email to us.

If MLB were actually interested in an exclusive license, it would have happened years ago. Even still, Take 2 can't make a decent baseball game even after they tried to take the anti-competitive route and failed miserably at it.

The best thing that can happen to the 2K series of baseball games is death, plain and simple.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »