View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #85
Village Idiot
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Jump the Snap STILL in the game. For the love of God...WHY???!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
This coming from the guy who kept telling us to wake up and realize that the entire defense "moves as one" in the game. If one guy moved right..the entire defense moved right, blah blah blah.
"Blah blah blah" does not a refutation make. And all I was saying, then and now, is that animations tie together. Profound, I know, since they market this fact across the board in sports games: "branching animation technology"; players getting hold and cold; dynamic in-game rating fluxes.

The better you perform with one player - because you can't control more than one player - the better the rest of your team performs, because hot players draw double teams, i.e., they "branch" to the cooler, deeper animations. If your QB hits 8-straight passes, the WR's heat up; hot WR's have sick animations - you can throw them lobs, and they break tackles, etc. Hot QB's have sick animations - they slip tackles, have more complete set-and-throw animations, are louder when calling signals, etc.

COLD players, conversely, aren't treated to these "cooler" animations. Cold and "neutral" players get cold and neutral animations.

We've all seen an offensive lineman pancake a DE. We've also all seen an OL wander around in a little circle without moving his legs, not blocking anyone. You think it's just a coincidence which animations you're seeing? No, it has everything to do with what you're doing.

Think about it. It's hypothetically possible to have all 22 guys on your team be RED. The goal of the game, in a sense, is to try to get this to happen.

My prediction is that most of the guys around here play most of the game in the gray, with some yellow. You might flirt with some red, but it doesn't last for more than a few plays.

The thing about playing most of the game with everyone in the gray stage is that that's the stage where most of the game's "problems" are. If you're playing most of the game with your guys predominantly gray and blue, then you're seeing nothing but gray- and blue-level animations. In other words, wonky garbage: like your DL getting blown up "every play" or "robo QB".

When you get your team humming into the red, on the other hand ... well, you've all seen it, I'm sure. It's probably that thing that was starting to happen right when you said "Damn, the CPU sliders need adjusting, this is too easy." And so you go make the game harder and you never quite get a glimpse of what it looks like when your team is actually firing at 100%, and, in turn, what this would mean for your gameplan if it were to happen. No, you go tweak the sliders so that you play the whole game, every game, in the gray. Because that's "sim."

So it's like this: if you can't (or won't) get your defense into the red, that's a YP. Dig? And if you hear someone complaining about not getting a pass rush, my guess would be it's because the QB/OL/WR is lighting him up. Conversely, when your defense is hot, and the OFFENSE is cold, you get things like, wow, sacks, INTs, fumbles, etc.

So let's tie this all back together.

Jump the Snap is a lame feature because .... ??

I mean, I don't even use it, so ...

But I'm just trying to put together what I've said above and how JTS fits into the picture as something "bad."

I can't see it.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 05-05-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove