View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
steph
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The best WR of all-time not named Jerry Rice?

IMO Marvin Harrison

Small extracts on an article on Marvin Harrison some years ago (2004 i think) when he was in his prime.

"I've coached 17 years in the NFL and I was in the NFC West when Jerry Rice was in his prime, and I think he's a better receiver than Rice was in his prime," says Texans defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, an assistant with the Saints from 1986 to 1994. "He's much tougher to cover 1-on-1 than Rice was. I'm not knocking Jerry Rice; I'm just telling you how good Marvin Harrison is."

A report card on Marvin Harrison by an NFL scout whose team has played the Colts this season.

[check] SPEED: Outstanding. As soon as the ball is snapped, he's at full speed. It doesn't matter what route he runs. If you're even with him, he's by you.

[check] ROUTE RUNNING: Outstanding. He never tips what he's going to do. You don't know if he's going to run an out, run an up or run inside. Some guys run and chop and dip a shoulder. The way he plays, everything is so smooth and effortless. He runs at you, he plants and, the next thing you know he's five yards away from you.

[check] HANDS: Outstanding. You don't get as many catches as he's had the last five or six years and not have good hands. They're just very dependable. He doesn't drop many balls.

[check] READING/ADJUSTING TO DEFENSES: Outstanding. He's always open. He knows the defensive backs he's going against, and he knows what he can and can't do.

[check] BLOCKING: Average. If you're looking for something to fault him on fault him on that. He's not going to sit there and hammer anybody.

[check] OVERALL: Outstanding. His game does not vary. It's always at a high level. He does it in all conditions, in all settings, at all times. He's just so dependable. It's beyond steady. It's reliable, it's production. All those things you want in a receiver, he is.--D.D.

I would still keep Rice at N°1 though