View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
lockdownd7
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: When does the Madden NFL Exclusive License run out?

I'm done with Madden. I hadn't bought it since 04, and I figured what the hell, I'll give 10 a try maybe they've stepped in up in 6 years. Sadly, no. So yea, I rebought 2k5 and am actually enjoying a football game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
The real issue is is EA making enough profit with Madden and the hefty licensing fee, sales have been going down since 2006.

Instead of them increasing sales since they've had the license they have been losing ground, which would seem almost impossible, it's a testament to how bad the games have been on next-gen, they have poisoned their own fanbase.

Perhaps EA would rather let multiple developers in on Madden and pay a LOT less for the NFL license. They will still retain about 90% of the current (although dwindling) Madden fanbase, who have proven they will buy just about anything with the name "Madden NFL" on it.

It all comes down to profit, if they think it would be more profitable to share the license, they will do it, if not, they will try to extend it.
You make some good points. Hopefully if enough people stop buying the damn games, EA will realize it's not worth it to pay for an exclusive license.

I have a feeling the lawsuit angle isn't going to pan out, so the only other hope is if it's just too expensive for EA.