View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: I have a genuine question about Tony Romo

From a pure statistical perspective, and leaving game context completely out of the picture, he's had one of the best 2.5 year stretches of any quarterback in NFL history; according to Pro-Football-Reference, he has the second-best career passer rating amongst active quarterbacks (behind only Peyton Manning) and third all-time (behind Peyton and Steve Young, who tops the list).

In terms of what skills Romo brings to the table: he's got a reasonably strong arm, he CAN be a deadly accurate passer, he's one of the most elusive quarterbacks in the league in the pocket, and he has a bit of a flair about him that allows him to make normally stupid plays work. He obviously has issues with consistency, leadership, making bonehead plays as the result of the same flair that he can make plays with sometimes, and, sometimes, securing the football while running and getting sacked.

All that said, I'm not calling Tony Romo a great quarterback until he wins something and puts up some positive numbers in a meaningful situation. There aren't many quarterbacks I'd swap Romo for, however, and there certainly isn't a realistically attainable passer I'd swap him for either.