Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
shnuskis
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: 2009: the year they went to far

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Honestly I don't care. I'd rather not watch 2nd string QBs out there all the time (which unfortunately I have to since I watch the Bills) so anything to protect any player's safety I'm for.

You can rant all you want about some kind of neanderthal game that destroys people's bodies but at the end of the day these are humans out there playing a game. Helmet to helmet hits should always be discouraged. The below the knees thing is a little soft, sure, but anything to penalize Vince Wilfork :P

I read an interesting thing the other day... make football players play without helmets. Think they'd be leading with their head still?
Unfortunately I do think they would still lead with there head. A text book tackle involves putting your head in front of the body of the ball carrier. If you go low, the posibility of getting a knee to the head is very real. While I agree with the theory that helmets and bigger pads have led to more violant collisions, I don't think taking the helmet away would decrease head injuries.

I agree with you that protecting the qb's from the free head shots they were taking a few years back is a necessary move.
Advertisements - Register to remove