Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #39
StormJH1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: BB is going to make Pro Tak look like old old technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders
Comparing BB to Blitz is just wrong. Blitz focused on over the top hits etc. to sell the product and hit the arcade fans. BB focuses on what would happen in real life. They are just showing these hits where guys are launching themselves at guys to show what the engine can do. I can't play Madden because the blocking/tackling is just plain broken. It does have most of the bells and whistles though. If BB doesn't give the user the depth in play-calling etc. its going to be a tougher sell but I'd still probably play it more than Madden but not much. If BB has all the stuff like the defensive zone vs man coverage, play-calling, hot-routes etc. in it then look out.

Problem is that people are SO looking forward to this game because of the potential they see so if this game does anything less than make us run in the streets shouting at the top of our lungs "I love BackBreaker!" then it may have a tough road. I think its interesting that so many people are absolutely craving this game and it speaks to how many people are just so frustrated that there isn't a great football out there anymore. I used to play NFL2K5 all the time and would hardly touch my NHL game - now the football game has to be at least on par with NHL10 for it to get my time and that's tough because NHL10 is really good.
Your post started out a little rough, but I came to agree with the 2nd half. Look, I don't blame people for being excited about Backbreaker, given all that it promises (and all that we've been following for the last 2-3 years of this debacle).

But that doesn't mean you should just throw all caution to the wind and ignore the fundamental axioms of video game releases:

(1) Unlicensed sports titles generally struggle to do well, unless there is a franchise history there (Tecmo Bowl, for example)

(2) It's generally a bad sign when a game release is repeatedly delayed, or when there is very little actual game footage and marketing effort put forth towards a release

(3) First-time efforts by upstart game developers are usually pretty rough-around-the-edges, and can't compete with established brands

There are things I like about what Backbreaker appears to be. But we can't say that Backbreaker isn't like NFL Blitz any more than we can say that it is, b/c nobody here has played a final build. And given the task that they're up against, I don't think the game should be automatically given the $50 or $60-dollar "benefit of the doubt" without more concrete information.