View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
Drag66
Pro

Drag66's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Thinking about getting a dog

I have 3 Siberian Huskies, a pit bull mix, and a chihuahua (my wife's, lol). I absolutely adore all of my dogs, but my siberians are incredible. They are extremely intelligent, athletic, and friendly. The only thing with siberians is that they love to run and have a ton of energy (they are working dogs after all). But he good thing is that huskies keep you active. Most siberian huskies weigh between 40-60 lbs. All of my dogs are animal rescues or strays that just showed up on my porch.

I echo the comments about rescuing dogs and not buying from a breeder. My family has been actively involved in our local shelter for many years. Local animal shelters have plenty of pure breed dogs. There are so many outstanding dogs in shelters that need a home. And as others said, the costs associated with shelter animal are significantly smaller than they would be with a breeder (in shelters, it is a low cost to adopt the dog and such cost includes initial necessary shots that are already done and spays/neuters that are already done.

Additionally, there are many rescue organizations that specialize in specific breeds (there are husky rescues, lab rescues, etc.). You can find any local rescues and shelters on the internet. Petfinder.com is a great resource.

Regardless of the breed you get, you will soon learn that there is nothing like the bond between you and your dog.