Home

Thinking about getting a dog

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting a dog within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Thinking about getting a dog

Awesome idea on the Golden Retriever (see pic below of him doing what he does best). I somehow got a 3 yr old one from the Humane Society last July. He was trained and had all his shots. The really cool thing about this dog is, as others have said, he seems to realize I saved him and is extremely loyal. He is the best of both worlds as he is really playful, but also really chill too. He gets along really well with other dogs and even my cat. He's also been really easy to train/teach stuff too. If you do get one, train it with positive re-inforcement. My dog doesn't take to negative training well at all.

If you decide to go the route of a Golden Retriever (and not adopt), do your research. Given their popularity as a breed, there are a lot of great resources about what is needed for upkeep, what personality to find etc... Unfortunately, that also means there are a lot of breeders who may/may not do what's best for their dogs. Overall, I'm sure most are good, but I'd be careful because I'd hate to get a dog and watch them suffer because some *** didn't treat them right. Enjoy making this decision. It's really fun and you get are finding a great and loyal pet!

Old 10-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Yes....definitely adopt a dog from a shelter.
I would NEVER.....and I mean EVER pay for a dog.
Adopting a dog from a shelter is something my wife and I discussed, but in the end, we wound up going to a breeder that her family has used on their last 4 Golden Retrievers. We wanted a baby that we knew had been taken care of and was healthy and we couldn't find that at any of the local shelters (more the baby Golden that was cared for part than health).

Speaking of dogs being awesome. Mine is sitting on my feet chewing on a toy as I type this. I've been painting my garage since 10am so I'm dead tired...it's nice to have the little guy relaxing with me while the wife is out.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
Pro

Drag66's Arena

OVR: 9

I have 3 Siberian Huskies, a pit bull mix, and a chihuahua (my wife's, lol). I absolutely adore all of my dogs, but my siberians are incredible. They are extremely intelligent, athletic, and friendly. The only thing with siberians is that they love to run and have a ton of energy (they are working dogs after all). But he good thing is that huskies keep you active. Most siberian huskies weigh between 40-60 lbs. All of my dogs are animal rescues or strays that just showed up on my porch.

I echo the comments about rescuing dogs and not buying from a breeder. My family has been actively involved in our local shelter for many years. Local animal shelters have plenty of pure breed dogs. There are so many outstanding dogs in shelters that need a home. And as others said, the costs associated with shelter animal are significantly smaller than they would be with a breeder (in shelters, it is a low cost to adopt the dog and such cost includes initial necessary shots that are already done and spays/neuters that are already done.

Additionally, there are many rescue organizations that specialize in specific breeds (there are husky rescues, lab rescues, etc.). You can find any local rescues and shelters on the internet. Petfinder.com is a great resource.

Regardless of the breed you get, you will soon learn that there is nothing like the bond between you and your dog.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag66
I have 3 Siberian Huskies, a pit bull mix, and a chihuahua (my wife's, lol). I absolutely adore all of my dogs, but my siberians are incredible. They are extremely intelligent, athletic, and friendly. The only thing with siberians is that they love to run and have a ton of energy (they are working dogs after all). But he good thing is that huskies keep you active. Most siberian huskies weigh between 40-60 lbs. All of my dogs are animal rescues or strays that just showed up on my porch.

I echo the comments about rescuing dogs and not buying from a breeder. My family has been actively involved in our local shelter for many years. Local animal shelters have plenty of pure breed dogs. There are so many outstanding dogs in shelters that need a home. And as others said, the costs associated with shelter animal are significantly smaller than they would be with a breeder (in shelters, it is a low cost to adopt the dog and such cost includes initial necessary shots that are already done and spays/neuters that are already done.

Additionally, there are many rescue organizations that specialize in specific breeds (there are husky rescues, lab rescues, etc.). You can find any local rescues and shelters on the internet. Petfinder.com is a great resource.

Regardless of the breed you get, you will soon learn that there is nothing like the bond between you and your dog.
Good post. Our second dog we got, we rescued. She is so friendly, and energetic. I love it, because I can go out and play fetch with her or whatever where as our first dog(a dachshund) doesn't like to play all that much. Only problem with her is she is aggressive towards other dogs, so we have to be careful walking her(we already knew this beforehand though). I wouldn't trade her for anything though, glad we adopted her because she is just great. No doubt when I move out and into somewhere I can have a dog(and afford one), I will rescue one.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I prefer flat haired retrievers over goldens. Goldens are becoming increasingly aggressive due to their popularity, breeding for calmness in goldens has made them more likely to develop seizure issues, because the fundamental brain chemistry of the dog is messed up. Alot of breeders train goldens to be unafraid of Humans, this is much different that training them to be obedient to humans. These temperament issues are a balancing act. If something gets out of sync, you’ll have a biting golden retriever on your hands.

The CDC in the US does not keep track of dog bites, but Canada does. Since Goldens are bread for family dogs, them being #4 in Canada in dog bites is very alarming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #22
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Adopting a dog from a shelter is something my wife and I discussed, but in the end, we wound up going to a breeder that her family has used on their last 4 Golden Retrievers. We wanted a baby that we knew had been taken care of and was healthy and we couldn't find that at any of the local shelters (more the baby Golden that was cared for part than health).
This is something we discussed as well, but we saw the sign in the neighborhood. They took their female dog to match a male pure bread 2 hours away. After the fun for the dogs was over with, the mom came back to the people we bought our dog from and the mom gave birth to 8 puppies. The people we bought our dog from gave all 8 puppies the required shots needed and the mom and the couple took care of 8 puppies for 8 weeks. The husband said with the amount we were paying for our dog, it still didn't cover the vet bills.

I know how hard it was to give up the other 7 puppies.(they kept one male) We still see them with our dogs every so often.

I know breeders receive a bad rap and some deserve it, but this was a very safe environment for our dog to be raised a puppy.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #23
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124

Speaking of dogs being awesome. Mine is sitting on my feet chewing on a toy as I type this. I've been painting my garage since 10am so I'm dead tired...it's nice to have the little guy relaxing with me while the wife is out.
I didn't mean for it to sound like I was knocking anyone who would(except those friggin' disgusting puppy mills)....as finding a certain breed in the shelter(full) might be difficult.
Just for me....when going to shelters and seeing so many dogs needing good homes...I just can't help but want to take the most needy one home.
Heck, I don't know if anyone saw that Honeymooners episode where Ralph gets PO'ed that Alice brought in a stray...and grabs the dog and says he's bringing the mutt to the pound(angrily) only to come home with 30 more that melted his heart while he was there.
That would be me.
I have to avoid the shelters.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I'm a "pansy lap dog" owner so I think this is where I exit the thread...

I love my little girl! All 6.5 lbs of her!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »