View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #30
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Thinking about getting a dog

Anyone looking for a dog, Kill two birds with one stone... Get one at your local Humane Society or shelter.. What we did to pick up our dog was fun and at the same helped out the local humane society.. Here's our story and I won't make it long

In 1991 we had a black lab given to us. She was a year old.. Long story short great dog but had to put her down at 13 years due to health problems. About 1 year after our Sadie had passed we wanted to give it another go... So a great site to go to is P-e-t-f-i-n-d-e-r-.-c-o-m. On that site we saw many great dogs. But the best part of the site is you put in your zip code and it will find animals from all the rescue places, human society, and breed specific places. Once we found the local place we wanted to visit, We started to volunteer and get to know the staff, I would go walk dogs, Help take dogs to the adoption days at our local Petsmart, and donate bags of food everytime. One of the best things was to get to know the staff.. They would call us at home when they got a dog that was very nice, Good with other animals, and good with kids.. They looked out for us. So one day we got a call and went down as it was a lab mix.. We really liked the dog. So took off and thought about it.. Well during that time, Someone adopted it.. So we told the workers we would just continue to stop by.. The best advice Sparky " yes the nickname of the woman in Charge" gave us is just come in and you'll know.. Don't just look at the cute ones, or the small ones.. Give all of them a shot...

So one morning we went to the place and the reception desk. We said we will be looking at dogs.. On our way down the hall there was a dog in the cage because she was just so hyper and would get all the other dogs rowled up LOL.. Bet the telling sign is we looked at her and she looked us straight in the eyes and wouldn't stop staring at us... We said this was the one.. Sparky said she is what you are looking for but hyper.. She asked if we wanted to take her out. Of course we did and there she went.. Running around crazy and fast and had all the dogs chasing her.. SHE WOULDN't stop LOL.. Long story short 100.00 later we got Lucy whom is a beagle spaniel mix.. And she was fixed... 8 years later she has been a great dog and loves EVERYONE.. She see's someone walking, She starts her crying and has to stop and say hello.

Go give a shelter a call and volunteer. You will know when you see your future dog. Donate even a bag of food here and their.. Those shelters work hard and are often over populated.. Get to know the staff and they will take care of you.. Since we have moved from Florida to Maine and it's been 3 years. Once a month we will send them a little check to this day and keep in contact with Sparky

PS- Mods, If you can link up that site it would be great.. It would help out any persons looking for a dog/cat or other.. If I can't have the spaced out site, Let me know and I will delete that portion of it

Last edited by TIm; 10-14-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Asking Mod